SORTED: BB with french threads

Konsta

Retro Guru
Hello.

I'm looking for a french threaded bottom bracket. Preferably with a shortish spindle.

Anyone?

Konsta,

I can't help, but was looking for one a year or so ago. I ended up buying an 'eccentric' bb from Velo Orange (essentially has no threads, but a metal sleeve expands inside the BB shell). Pretty expensive (£40+, I seem to recall), but if all else fails...

You could try Hilary Stone, in Bristol, he has a broad selection of unusual parts
http://hilarystone.com/bottombracketfren.html

Good luck,

David

Thanks. I'm aware of the VO BBs. But I was actually looking for a something a bit older.

And yes, Hilary Stone has an excellent stock of everything but my experience of buying a rear hub from him was not so smooth. Email communication was a bit slowish so to speak. But if everything else fails...

It's not particularly old, but I have a shimano UN71, 107mm, french threaded BB. used, but in great condition - still super smooth. Any use to you?

Andy

Hi Konsta :) I've got a Shimano 600 French BB super smooth (came off a Turbo Mecacycle) £20 to your door if you're not sorted yet. No probs if you have found what you're looking for :) Best of luck, yours Laz.

PS: switched the Shimano for a Campagnolo SR BB hence why its going spare.

No problem konsta, glad to help!

having said that, I have just this afternoon started stipping down my latest project, and what did I find, but another french BB!!! that's two I've found in the last month! This one is shimano 600, 113mm axle. I think it's in decent shape (I didn't take it out of the frame yet). the stupid thing is that I've had the bike for years and always assumed it was italian threaded...

Anyway, I plan on using campagnolo on this frame, not the shimano that was on it, so ideally need a campagnolo 111mm BB with french threads, or something that will work!

anyone?

cheers, Andy

Back