Mystery Italian frame - help wanted!

Theeb

Retro Guru
I have this frame at the moment that I'm trying to identify. Had some good leads from various people but thought I'd collate it all and see if anything new can be ascertained:

Here are some pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1069258981 ... directlink

What is known:
Frame/forks are made of high-quality, and very lightweight tubing, with campag dropouts, and Campag (model?) headset.
Several rust patches, bad around the bottom bracket shell - could definitely do with a respray, but no structural damage evident.
Bottom bracket shell does not have a reversed thread on the drive side, but is 68mm (so French??)
Campagnolo Portacatena 1010b driveside dropout
A company called Abilita had something to do with the bike at some point.
Dimensions: ST: 57cm c-t; TT: 56cm c-c; Dropouts: 126mm
Under the BB, there are lots of numbers in varying states of readability...
On the fork steer, there is stamped: 985CP

What is suspected:
Built between 1978 and 1982 (from the 1010b dropout) - or at least after 1978.
French or Italian-built frame (from BB threading).
Columbus tubing: sticker says "speciali superbutted" which makes it either SLX, SPX, or TSX. Sticker could be a red-herring though - oh, and I cannot feel spiralling ridges inside the seat or down tube...
'Abilita' - despite sounding Italian, is a company who did a respray at some point - see headtube badge (Abilita Dorset!).

Any more clues...?!

PS. Anyone know what headset it is?
Thanks.

Identity

Hi
I cant really help with the identity of your frame, I followed the other thread thinking surely somebody must know.
If there is no ridges/spiralling inside the ends of the tubing then it wont be SLX or TSX. SLX had the ridges spiralling at the ends of the tubing and TSX was thinner tubing again but had the ridges/spiralling running the full length of the tubes. Both tubing for proffesional use but remeber seeing the TSX was listed as the tubing for stage race frames for stages/distances over 150kms.
I know it doesnt identify but at least lets eliminate a couple to narrow it down.
Maybe photograph the decal and send directly to tube maker and ask for a time period it was used and to identify. Might narrow it down a bit further.
Will watch with interest, love a mystery ;)
Best of luck
Jamie

Back