Raleigh Cadet "Panasonic" Finished..pics

I have the 531 version of this, lovely bike. The only bike I will never sell. I urge you to keep the original paint rather than respray.

Seatpost looks great. One thing I just have to pick up on is your taping; did you cover the band with a little strip prior to taping or is that the band I can see?

Tel":3u163qns said:
I have the 531 version of this, lovely bike. The only bike I will never sell. I urge you to keep the original paint rather than respray.

Seatpost looks great. One thing I just have to pick up on is your taping; did you cover the band with a little strip prior to taping or is that the band I can see?

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Tel, this is the first time i have had to put proper tape on bars for years, and i was unsure if i had enough to cut off a small section, so i erred on the side of caution, and left the clasp visible. I have no doubt that i will re do it sometime, but just concerned with finishing it and having a ride.

TTFN

Dave

Hi all,

Last parts arrived yesterday, so, as i had today off :cool: they got fitted, and i went out for a shakedown ride. It seems quite fast, but that is compairing it to my MTB. It also seems a little long, but it has been nearly 20 yrs since i was on a proper bike :oops: Not much came loose...Saddle & l/h pedal arm. Brakes just fab, better that i have ever had.

For those that are interested, it cost a shade over £196 to finish this, including the original purchase. I have been told that it cost £175 in 1986, which would make it roughly £350 in todays money. While i could have bought a bike for £200, it wouldn't have looked like this, and i suspect i would still have changed a few things :roll: so i feel that this is a good outcome, though 'er indoors wouldn't agree :oops:

The full spec is in the post at the top of this thread.

I took the gps out with me, and you can see that without trying to much, i was getting 20mph, though it did go a bit off planet towards the end, and registered 55.4 mph :shock: Don't know where that came from...

See the route here, though it was just a local ride...

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/199304

trek_y":3da3i8qw said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142532

New Charge Spoon in white here if you want one ?

Trek_y :- as you see, the postman brought me one ( £22.49 inc postage), but many thanks for the offer :D

Goldie :- White from Velosolo......

Max:- thank you,

Pics below

Little bit of paint to touch up on the mech mount and chain stay graphic.

Many thanks for all your interest, and kind comments. When i have put in some miles, and raised my fitness level a bit, i will try to organise a Retro road ride. It would be nice to see some more Retro bikes out in the lanes this summer.

Apart from the bar tape and chain all seems well. I would also use some more retro looking tires.

Great bike. Enjoy! :cool:

Hi,

Just to round thing off nicely, i went for a little spin today, and found the shop where this bike was originally sold, Ron Mills, 96-98 Grand Ave, Worthing.

The lady i bought this from told me it was her brothers bike. She was late 30's early 40's so he may well have had this new from Ron Mills, and that would make me only its second owner.

The old Ron Mills shop, before he moved north of the railway at the The Strand, Durrington.

Ron had both shopfronts pictured.

Back