1992 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Paul C

Retro Newbie
Hello, I recently bought this bike for a few pounds from a
colleague and thought I would use it for rides to work / odd trail while I'm waiting for a cube analog under the cycle to work scheme.
It's a great bike and really light, I'm thinking a set of slicks will make the 13 miles to work quicker.

Had a go at cleaning it up the other day as the finish was quite poor, after seeing a post on here with a member who has restored his, it inspired me to have a go as his bike looked fantastic.

I rubbed the frame down with wet and dry, plenty of water, starting at 120 grade as the frame was quite bad, finishing with 1200, then finally a buff with a soft cloth and autosol.
I have yet to clean up the brakes, deraillieur and other bits, and find some purple graphics if anyone knows where i can find these, left the indian fire trail stickers on for now when I realised how hard it is to find replacements ! but they will be coming off as they look a mess. Needs a new seat and a finishing polish when i strip it down, but for now, it's a bit of an improvement.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r632/paulc7/

Good score is that mate. These were the top of the range alu marin back in 92 right? Will keep an eye on this one.

Oh, and see Gil M for the decals ;)

you've done allright there paul :cool:

this model deserves a full strip and rebuild, as it's all one colour/polish it's worth doing.

them forks knackered? get some 1.1/8" rigid steel on there you will save even more weight and better for your road usage ;)

PM GIL_M on this site as he has most makes and models on file for your replacement decals.

take measurements too of your existing decals so you know where to put the others back(just done this myself but nearly forgot).

cheers.

Thanks for the replies and advice, I will PM for stickers and measure before i take the rest off. Got a couple of weeks off work so time for a full strip down !
I paid £60 for the bike which I thought was quite steep for a 20 year old bike but once I rode it I had to have it. How much were they new back then?

Paul C":3o05zinj said:
Thanks for the replies and advice, I will PM for stickers and measure before i take the rest off. Got a couple of weeks off work so time for a full strip down !
I paid £60 for the bike which I thought was quite steep for a 20 year old bike but once I rode it I had to have it. How much were they new back then?

around £1000. plus or minus 80 quid between dealer discretion. ;)

No the seat post is around 30. Found a brand new gel MTB seat on a car boot this morning for £4 and a Specialized team control tyre for £2. This is turning out to be a cheap bike, or is it I'm just tight :D
£1000 new ? must have been a better bike in it's day than the Cube Analog Disc I'm waiting for under the cycle to work scheme !

I paid £850 for one of those 'back in the day' and that was in an end of season sale! :shock: :shock: I remember that it was a very fast bike, but beat me up a lot on the wrough bits! :(

Back