Best way to remove decals?

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What's the best way to remove the really brittle decals on bikes, not the vinyl ones that you can use a hairdryer on.

Acetone (nail varnish remover...); I'm just guessing, never tried it??

Failing that, a heat gun??

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Probably still a hair dryer.
If that doesn't work it'll be a chemical thing so it's a case of finding out what will dissolve the glue but not the paint.
I'd start with panel wipe then white spirits then cellulose thinners, but be carefull as they can take a while to soak through and it may not be obvious its attacking the paint.

I forgot to mention its on a carbon (thermoplastic) frame, I might just leave it to the next owner!

Thanks anyway.

Acetone should bring them off nice and easy, but before you use it make sure you try it on a part of the frame that is out of view to check it won't fetch the paint off at the same time

I've used finger nails, credit cards and bizarrely the rounded edge of a flat bladed screwdriver, the latter carefully. Once you find the sweet spot, they come off easily. Try plastic cutlery too.

ishaw":u4g3utmm said:
I've used finger nails, credit cards and bizarrely the rounded edge of a flat bladed screwdriver, the latter carefully. Once you find the sweet spot, they come off easily. Try plastic cutlery too.

Good ideas, thanks!

Back