Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

daj":3s098s0d said:

Thanks. Yup, that's what I thought.

The RC36 has a fork length of 430mm, so affectively 40mm longer than the RC35. However, I have just thrown everything together (admittedly with no headset, but that makes very little difference with a CK threadless) and parked it next to my 94 Zaskar and there is almost no difference between the two, so now I am officially confused.

I don't think I will worry about this until the frame is back, and as I'm already watching a few RC35's, I can always add a pair to the growing collection of parts :oops:

Shame your not a little closer to come and play on mine, I was told with sag etc my fork should be fine (rc38 airforce 2) and agree you would think such a small amount would make a difference but its bad .... open bridal type riding its not so bad but any trails that need decent steering input its not nice at all , Ask AndyB he tried it up in the lakes and I think quite shocked by the way the handling just dropped away from you. :?

Well, you guys have got me seriously worried that I have bought completely the wrong forks, so I did a quick throw together.

Looking at the angle of the chainstays to the ground, they are very close to those of the DB tested by MBUK, including allowing for some droop of the forks once I'm onboard.

So, for now, I will continue with my parts collection, and we'll see how things progress.

EDIT:

Different photo
DSC_00021.jpg

Neil - you and I can't be the only bikers on here: how about a picture of the Laverda? That way those of us who twist throttles to accelerate sometimes instead of pedalling can have a good lust at that.

And everyone else can imagine your DB in the same colour. :D

Surely if CR says something is okay to fit to one of his own frames then who are we to question him?

It certainly looks perfectly alright to me, especially taking into account the correct amount of sag...

NeilM":49ugdiey said:
Looking at the angle of the chainstays to the ground, they are very close to those of the DB tested by MBUK, including allowing for some droop of the forks once I'm onboard.
DSC_0007.jpg

Compared to my DB the angles on yours appears a bit more "laid back" with the fork. I wouldn't worry though, it looks very rideable. Just try it out, shouldn't be too hard to flog the forks on here if the ride's not to your liking

Cheers, Giel

It's very hard to compare one frame to another, as each is a custom build to a slightly different size, Look at the head tubes, and you will notice mine is much longer than some, although a similar size to the MBUK test bike.

I will have a chat with Chas about this before I complete the build.

A quick update just to say that the frame has arrived with Chas and they will be calling me soon to discuss what we do next.

Back