Looking for a steel frame

You need to look at three factors – weight, geometry and brakes:

Weight – the Explosif, On-One Inbred, Orange P7, Prince Albert, Surly all weigh c2.25kg, the Cotic Soul/Simple, the Genesis Altitude 853, Merlin Rock Lobster 853, Orange Prestige weigh <2kg, the Blizzard weighs >2kg. The difference shows up in the ride/handling characteristics – do you want a stiff/strong frame or do you want a light frame?

Geometry – you’ll have to do the research, but the Explosif still has geometry for a 80mm fork, the Rock Lobster is best with a 130mm fork, Orange Prestige, Genesis, Blizzard = 100mm, Cotic, P7 = 100-130mm etc. So you need to match the frame to the type of fork you want to use and the kind of riding you want to do.

Brakes – most of these frames now are disc-only and there is no way of retro-fitting V-brake bosses

And in terms of value, a second-hand frame is HUGELY better value than a new one. A Fat Chance frame on eBay costs way less than a new Blizzard, so which is the better value?

rarer & better made than all of your previous choices so far. steve potts £550posted :)
pottsdrive2.jpg

In second hand frames I have a problem with the size, that Ritchey is very big ( I’m between the 17â€

scant":2j0sisxh said:
rarer & better made than all of your previous choices so far. steve potts £550posted :)
pottsdrive2.jpg

Very nice Scant :)

You know who it was who said that Roy's Groovy should have been best Tig of the show??? Exactly, Steve Potts.

madjh":h2qnxuz8 said:
Very funny the groovy logo, it remind me the Scyp one (The S with the crown)

Really a good option, BUT has a problem. I know Kent Eriksen, who works with Ti and it is in USA too. I only bought the seat post for my RM, It was not very expensive but the taxes to bring to Europe are incredible high.( I´ve been catched only one time :roll: but it was enought)

I’m looking only in European shops, like one in UK-ebay that has the voodoo very cheap (I cannot remember now the name).

With regular frames, bikes etcetera VAT and duties are also included in the price ...BUT they don't grant you the benefit of the low dollar.

Oh, of course that is because they are made in Taiwan :!: :LOL:

I hope that I haven’t given the impression that I’m suggesting On Ones are great (they are fine and certainly value for money although I have had mixed experiences in dealing with the company), but thought that my earlier post might help as an Inbred was mentioned.

If you want custom steel and don’t want to experience the crippling customs charges involved in importing from the US, it might be worth looking at Robin Mather who has a growing reputation and whose website shows some very tidy looking machines http://www.robinmathercycles.co.uk/bikegallery.html

Back