Carlton..Purists look away now. New Pics

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi,

I have decided to start a build thread here for the Freecycle Carlton i acquired.

Wasn't sure what it was, but a lot of computer time later we now know. See the descussion here
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 37#1315537
It is a "Ten".

However, i really don't like the colour scheme of Tens, so, on the basis that it is mine, and i can have it how i want, it will be Lagoon Blue, sorry if that upsets any purists.

Spec...

Frame: Carlton

Fork: Carlton

Headset: Carlton
Stem: Milremo
Handlebar:
Bar Tape:

Brake Levers/Brifters: Weinmann
Brake Calipers: Weinmann center pull
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables:

Shifters: OE Simplex, now Shimano 600 Arabesque
Front Derailleur: OE Simplex, now Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: OE Elan, now Shimano 600
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Shimano
Chain:
Cranks: Williams
Chainrings: Williams
Bottom Bracket: OE
Pedals:

Rims:
Hubs:
Hub Skewers:
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle:
Seatpost: Steel OE
Seatpost Binder: Carlton

Bottle Cage:
Extras:

Weight:

During the winter i decided to upgrade the mechs and Gear change levers, as the OE kit looked really cheap. New parts on the left in the pics...

I think they will go well with the proposed colour scheme, and look the part for an early 70's bike.

While i was cleaning up the rear mech, it all went smoothly, until the final part....loosen off the cable adjuster :oops:

Such a small part, so much trouble :roll: Fortunately, in my past life i have been involved with some engineering. A check in the spares box revealed a spare adjuster, and, after drilling out the offending part to 4.2 mm, and running a 5mm tap down the hole, to clean the threads, we were away with the mixer once again.

I will be using the wheels that came with it. Steel i know, but they should stand up to touring and unmade roads better than alloy replacements.

I have spoken to Llyods about decals, and they think they can help, but he mentioned the word "pricey" :?

What i really need to finish this is a)a pair of either white Carlton Brake hoods, or brown/gum Weinmann hoods. Anyone have some good spares the are prepared to let go? b) Also looking for some good condition Quill pedals. c) some Carlton rear wheel nuts.

Dave

Well at least you are not turning it into one of those god damned fixies...

I rather liked the 'Ten' in flamboyant copper.

Look forward to seeing the build progress.

Spokesmann":2ifir94p said:

Mike, fixie for me would mean a Holdsworth, Butler or Grubb path racer. Proper dropouts etc. Not a bike that has been hacked and damaged to make a "tool" for hipsters.........

I guess this will turn out as a poor man's Corsa Strada, but without the chrome :roll:

All the best,

Dave

Piperdave":3ogzczhg said:
Spokesmann":3ogzczhg said:

Mike, fixie for me would mean a Holdsworth, Butler or Grubb path racer. Proper dropouts etc. Not a bike that has been hacked and damaged to make a "tool" for hipsters.........

I guess this will turn out as a poor man's Corsa Strada, but without the chrome :roll:

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave, Im biased I like all Carltons...

always like to see these old irons still being used and I like the bits you are putting on the machine. I agree about the decals though, they can be expensive!!

Confirmation today that this was indeed a "Ten". I striped the bike prior to painting, and there was some flamboyant copper paint on the steerer. Nice to finally know what it was.

Dave

The 'ten' had 531 main tubes.

10cobra.jpg

Back