lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
My new ride, thanks to coomber for spotting this on ebay locally to me.

This is circa 2010 and marketed as the queen of the bso, barracuda. Having done lots of research the frame is identical to a diamond back mojito.

It came with the lowest of the low tourney groupset, steel bar, stem and post . You know the score. I binned all the crap which weighed 9lbs! And started the rebuild.

The original fork has been binned in favour of a beautiful salsa cromoto, stem is an oem kona. Bbb carbon risers bar, tektro brake levers, un52 bb, race face turbine cranks ( the shimano ones I wanted to fit hit the chainstays but I needed as narrow a bb as possible for chainline purposes. Old spd's, slr saddle and easton post. I wasn't intending on an all black build at all but I am actually quite pleased with the aesthetics.

Rear wheel has caused problems as it takes a freewheel. I bought a single speed freewheel and then realised there isn't a provision to adjust the chainline. After a cry for help on the forum I decided to adjust the spacers on the rear axle then redish the wheel. Chainline is now spot on. Doing this now means the caliper is about an inch away from the disc so I need longer bolts and shims on the disc and caliper. One other issue is the freewheel is 3/16 and chainrings is 1/8 not sure if a 3/16 chain is in order or if I need a 1/8 freewheel.

Anyway, here's a low light pic of the story so far

IMAG0903.jpg by lewis1641, on Flickr

[/code]

Do you mean 1/8 and 3/32? How are you tensioning?

not really sure what i mean to be honest! the freewheel is really thick and is stamped 3/16 . the single speed chain has 1/8 on the packagine. i assumed that was to do with the width of the teeth rather than the pitch of the chain?

will be tensioning with either a mech hanger mounted da bomb fixed jobbie (but that would mean stealing it off the klein) , or i have a bb mounted one but will only use that if i have got the chainline wrong and the front end needs to come out a few mm. i think i have it about right though

Hmm can't help I'm afraid, to my knowledge you get 3/32 and 1/8. 1/8 being the normal BMX size and 3/32 the traditional geared/cassette size.

Just checked the freewheel and it says 1/2 and 3/16.

I assume the 1/2" refers to the pitch of the chain?

Haha still not finished it! Need some longer bolts and spacers for the rear caliper and sort a tensioner. Tried a dcd but wouldn't work in this frame.

I really do need to get this rideable!

Haha I have been so busy over the last few months. It is rideable, replaced the brakes with avid bb7s and ridden it a dew times to ny unit and back, about 2 miles of smooth, flat tarmac lol

Back