Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So far, there is not much to show, but as I keep being asked to start a thread, here it is.

I bought the 1992 DB frame from Ebay, and have since spoken to Brian at Chas Roberts and also shown the frame to the man himself, last weekend at the Bristol Show.

The decision has been made to return the frame to Chas, for a repair and repaint. I will also get him to A) remove the BB, which I just cannot budge, and (B) Install a Chris King headset, which should be along here any time at all (Thank you Retrokona).

The Frame
DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

The reason the frame needs a repair is because there is a hole in the top tube, which the naughty seller did not mention in the listing, tut tut.

DSC_0177.jpg

But the joy of a hand made steel frame is that most problems can be fixed. So, once Chas has it, he will remove all the existing paint and then we will be having a chat about the best way to fix it.

Parts so far:

I have, so far acquired a very nice pair of RC36 forks (thanks isitafox) and also some NOS Mavic XC717 rims.

Forks:
DSC_0186.jpg

Rims:
DSC_0257.jpg

The planned colour scheme is going to follow the Roberts DB traditional pattern of frame one colour and rear stays black. But, in my case, I am not going for a white frame (yawn), instead I will be going with orange, most likely Ford Vista orange, as it is very close to the colour used on my beloved (and long gone) Laverda 1000cc triple. I will get CR to do the graphics, and they will be black (there's a pattern forming here).

So, that's it so far. I have some USE carbon flat bars coming, along with a Charge Spoon saddle, a USE 25mm seatpost and 28.6mm shim. Next on the shopping list are Hope Pro3 hubs, Middleburn RS8X DUO cranks, SRAM F&R mechs and Avid V-brakes / levers.

The stem has a question mark at present. Ted James is my possible maker of choice, but I want to be sure of the length before I press the go button, and also check with Ted what his lead times are.

Grips, no idea, bar ends, I am toying with having some X-Lite stubbies sprayed at the same time as the frame. Tyres...erm, round ones, with tread and everything. Pedals, Time, probably the new model ATAC, shifters, I am waiting for SRAM to release the new 2 x 10 twisters, then they will also go on the shopping list.

Everything hangs on the frame rebuild lead time. So the next update will most likely be when it comes home again.

Once the DB is finished, I have a slight itch for a new Rourke frameset..... :twisted:

Oh, and just in case you're wondering, no, it's not an SE. If it were, then this would be an entirely different rebuild.

Thank god for that,

white and black DB's are getting like kona's around here :LOL:

........retires to a safe distance :roll:

Have you contacted the seller? I was interested in this and if I'd won and found the hole I'd be hopping mad. He can't even claim he has not seen it as he's removed the paint. Very least I'd do would be to ask for some money back :evil:

Either way I'm sure it'll turn out well. If I had a DB it'd have to be in the classic colours so interested to see what you come up with. :cool:

This is going to be lovely. Nice parts list there and those forks look minty :cool:

Interested to see what the finished article looks like in comparison to the one i'm building which is going to be a boring black and white one! :)

JustKev":10h4nl2y said:
I fear the fork is too long for that frame. Needs an RC35.

Chas doesn't agree with you I'm afraid. I told him what fork I was planning on using and he told me that would be fine.

From what he said, the DB can cope with up to 80mm of travel, after that it bugg... erm, messes up the geometry.

Chris King threadless headset (in black) and USE Atom bars have arrived today.

JustKev":3fekrnq2 said:

Not fear fact. The fork on my d.b is 390mm and tried a 440mm on a much later genesis and steering is horrendous. I am heading towards a rc35

daj":2f8t2sct said:
JustKev":2f8t2sct said:

Not fear fact. The fork on my d.b is 390mm and tried a 440mm on a much later genesis and steering is horrendous. I am heading towards a rc35

Agreed Dave, I was trying to be gentle. The RC36 is 50+mm too long for the frame and Chas is giving poor advice in my opinion. It'll look and ride like a chopper.

daj":3aob8me7 said:
The fork on my d.b is 390mm and tried a 440mm on a much later genesis and steering is horrendous. I am heading towards a rc35

Where are you taking the measurement to get a length of 390mm?

I can't find a spec for the RC36, but I can take a measurement from the two pairs I have here.

Here is a linky :cool:

http://www.bikecad.ca/fork_length

NeilM":3ir1rrnh said:
daj":3ir1rrnh said:
The fork on my d.b is 390mm and tried a 440mm on a much later genesis and steering is horrendous. I am heading towards a rc35

Where are you taking the measurement to get a length of 390mm?

I can't find a spec for the RC36, but I can take a measurement from the two pairs I have here.

Back