Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

I've never ridden a road bike. :)

Not sure if thats really bad or really good. :?
Should really give it a go but i cant afford a build if i dont like it and im not keen on borrowing someone elses.

:shock: WoW 5 pages. People talk to me all the time when i have my bike with me. I don't know why? As i never go out wanting to talk to any body :? In fact i don't want to. I just want to ride & mind my own business.
Even when i owned/listened to my iPod they still want to talk
:x

So gave up with the iPod.

tintin40":1pwlwq50 said:
:shock: WoW 5 pages. People talk to me all the time when i have my bike with me. I don't know why? As i never go out wanting to talk to any body :? In fact i don't want to. I just want to ride & mind my own business.

and there we have it. A guy who is happy to be out on his bike and has a friendly demeanour gets acknowledged and talked to. Those who look like theyve entered purgatory or have chips on their shoulder get ignored.
Work it out

garrema":kmvpitxb said:
Joking aside problem is the 3K£ bike lot tend to be over 40 and have never cycled and so dont know the etiquette. Off they go on their "SL" BMC or Ribble.

Ah, but there's Ribbles and there's Ribbles. On the one hand, the current crop purchased by the middle-aged "cycling is the new golf" types. On the other hand, this (but then I would say that, I'm biased!):

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

:)

David

tintin40":1sn71j0y said:

Lemme guess ... it mostly happens when you take out the Trimble, right? Same problem here.
I found a solution though. Just go so fast that they don't have enough time to notice the bike.

I ride both road and mtb and try and acknowledge most other cyclists. The roadie acknowledgement tends to be a bit more subtle, just a nod of the head or a small wave. With MTB if on the trails more likely to stop and chat.

BUT

If you are on the tail end of a 100 mile chain gang and limping home you don't always have the strength to nod ;)

eastsidebikes":1npwpz2i said:
I drive a hearse and always wave at the other hearse drivers. Not had a single wave back yet :evil:

I might start waving frantically at other Mondeo Estate Drivers, see if any wave back or just think 'Look at that Loon waving at everyone on the dam road!'

I utilize the fat and skinny velocipede on different days, and generally find that the locals are friendly enough, but you always get that one that looks down at you as you are not riding the latest 29r/Carbon/4.5k bike and that you are happily keeping up on your sub 1k bike that you love and know every part of.

feetabix":3an0bgc6 said:
i did 90 miles today, in all weathers, full lycra on a modern road bike......just for the record i stopped at every red light and waved heartily at every other cyclist i saw.....every one waved back too......i dont think its a cycling thing, those that dont say hello are probably those who wouldnt acnowledge you when passing in the street on foot either.....i get the comment about random waving being daft, but we are essentially herding animals. i dont want to swap spit with every one of them, but i do feel a connection to all the others who have shunned family time to randomly ride around on their velocipede in the pissing rain.....its the same connection that makes instant friendship with folk we have never met before on our rides!..... life is just better with a modicome of good will......i send parts to people here through the post karma stylee, is that not an extension of the same thing?...:D

This sums it up very very well... I joined a velo club late summer and had an awesome time! Pushed really hard, my road riding massively improved. But my god there some elitists there, so much so I don't go anymore. The very same bunch don't achknowledge when I'm out now. It's a roadie problem fo show! Treat other how you'd like to be treated

Back