Advice on a Shimergo setup

troy_e

Dirt Disciple
I'm in the process of building a bike and have in my hands these parts to work with:

Campy Athena 8spd ergo shifters
Shimano 105 rear derraileur
Ambrosio Evolution wheels with Shimano freehub

I've been trying to find out whether the Camoy shifters would work with the Shimano drivetrain, but have so far found conflicting evidence. For one thing, Shimergo setuos certainly work. but...

1. Due to the greater cable pull of the Campy shifters, it is said that 10spd shifters work with 8spd rear mech/cassette. I haven't found anyone speaking of 8spd shifters in such setup.
2. Spacers seem to work fine, but which size, and where to get them? Did some searching on the webs, and there doesn't seem to be that many for geared bikes. Most spacers out there are made for SS/fixies. And then there's the question of whether the freehub will actually have enough space to accomodate the cassette after the spacers have been put in place.

Would appreciate advice from anyone in the know or who has had experience with a similar setup.

Campag 8 speed cassettes have exactly the same spacing (5.0mm) as Shimano 7 speed.

So, your 8 speed Athena shifters with a Campag rear mech will go perfectly with a Shimano 7 speed cassette and a spacer on that hub. Spacers are fairly easily available for a quid or two.

I ran an identical setup for a couple of years. Worked perfectly. For other combos, I found this page to be helpful with it's little charts and whatnot:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

Campag 8 speed shifters/ Shimano rear mech can be used for 5/6 speed but that doesn't help you much.

Thanks a lot Kevin, that page is really helpful.

Another option would be to put on an 8spd Shimano cassette and use 1.2mm spacers to get the pitch from 4.8 to 6.0mm, which is pretty darn close to the amount of shift you get when combining Campy 8 and Shimano rear mech.

I'm just wondering if there'd be enough space left on the freehub to accommodate all 8 cogs after the addition of the spacers :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I ran campag 8 speed levers with a shimano mech and shimano 6 speed set up for years on a commuter. it worked perfectly. If you have a shimano 8 speed hub, you may be able to use a 6 speed cassette + and extra small cog to give you 7 speeds.

you could experiment by hubbub'ing (google hubbub) Its a different method of clamping the cable to the mech to give different pull ratios

you could use a j-tek shiftmate (you need to specify what you want to run, as theyre all different) to get anything to work

I am using almost exactly that on my CX bike. Ancient Ergos, Record or Chorus with an old 105 mech. Just used the alternative method of clamping the reat cable. Look on the CTC site if anything here doesn't work. Any old 8 speed Shimano cassette. Even covered in muck it works fine. I seem to recall having to find a clamp nut of another mech as my particular 10r rear mech had something odd on it.

Just read the other posts. It will work. . Shimano 8 speed cassette is 4.8mm spacing and Campag is 5mm. To be honest thats close enough that you don't even need to play with the clamping of the cable if you have a touch of wear in the jockey wheels. If you are picky clamp the cable the other way . CTC site! and look for Hubbub?
Shift mates are a way of spending oney that isn't needed here.
6mm spacing is way too big.

mattsccm":3btvyamd said:
Just read the other posts. It will work. . Shimano 8 speed cassette is 4.8mm spacing and Campag is 5mm. To be honest thats close enough that you don't even need to play with the clamping of the cable if you have a touch of wear in the jockey wheels..
might have been the case if he were using a campag rear mech with the levers, but he's got a shimano 105 mech which is a way different pull ratio to campag. BTW, there is no 6mm spacing. 5 and 6 speed standard is 5.5mm

That is what I said works.
Use the alternative way of securing the cable on the 105 rear mech which then works perfectly.
The difference is very little, 0.2 mm.
My set up, Record shifter and 105 rear mech.

Dunno why some one quoted 6mm as its way off although my Dad reckons that 4 speed blocks were wider spaced than 5 speed.

I've some problems, but I'll update as soon as I find a solution.. So, 7spd shimano casette with sh-rd6400 rear derailleur and fd1050 front with 8spd campy mirage lever. front shifting is perfect. lower 3 cogs are perfect, upper 3 also, but when I'm in the middle of the cassette, the mech always shifts 2 cogs simultaneously. It seems like the levers pull too much cable in the mid-clicks compared to the lower ones.

am I correct or not? :$ I'll give a go to re-setup my RD. Thanks for the help. :)

Back