Suntour Superbe front caliper

rolf f

Dirt Disciple
As per title - I need a front Suntour Superbe caliper of the bolt through, non - recessed variety. Tidy used condition. For a Raleigh Record Ace so reach has to be long enough to get round the mudguards.

I got a pair of calipers on Ebay but didn't spot that the front was recessed. The bike deserves calipers to match the rest of the groupset (or something better than Weinmann 605s anyway!).

If you have such a thing for sale, please let me know.

Cheers...>Rolf

You could just try to replace the centre bolt with a longer one. I have the bolt on Superbe calipers, so could measure the length for you if it would help. I'm not selling it, though... Lovely brakes.
I wonder if a Campag centre bolt would fit? Might be more of those around.
Nick

TBH, I contemplated whether the bolt could be replaced but couldn't easily see how (and the brakes are at my parents so I can't look at them!). If the bolts can be swapped, then that would be great.

If it isn't a bother then measuring would help. I daresay they are about the same length as the Weinmann ones but they are still on the bike!

Cheers...Rolf

OK, I'll have a look at them, but probably not until mid-week. I have a Weinmann bolt-on centre bolt, so will have a look if that would do the job (not ideal, I know, but might be a workable stand-in).

Nick

Sorry for slow reply... Here is a picture of the Superbe bolt. 8cm long in total, 4.7cm of which is behind the caliper. Any bolt that will take the spring should do the job.
Nick

Attachments

• 05042012295.jpg
    05042012295.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 242
Proof of the pudding: here is a front Superbe caliper built up with a rather tarnished Weinmann 8cm centre bolt. Works OK.
Let me know if you don't want to break your Weinmanns...
Nick

Attachments

• 05042012296.jpg
    05042012296.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 236
nammonk":1qrw085p said:
Proof of the pudding: here is a front Superbe caliper built up with a rather tarnished Weinmann 8cm centre bolt. Works OK.
Let me know if you don't want to break your Weinmanns...
Nick

Thanks for looking into this for me - it's really helpful! Is the Weinmann bolt spare? I'd ideally prefer not to dismantle my Weinmanns but, on the other hand, I wouldn't sell them without the bike so it isn't critical. But it's always nice not to need to pull things apart. Is there any visual difference with the Weinmann bolt? I'm assuming they are effectively just the same.......

Visually, the only bit you see is the part by the spring. This is not shiny and doesn't say "Japan" on it... It could be that the spring is a little thicker on the Suntour, so the groove for the spring may need filing down a little; not a problem. The only significant difference with the bolt shown is that it doesn't have any flats on it to centre the caliper with a cone spanner. I never did work out how to centre old Weinmann's... Later ones had a hex-ending to the bolt for this purpose.
I've taken this bolt off a functioning caliper, but let me see if I've got one spare. If I haven't, someone might have. You can get a nice Campag one fron Nigel at campyoldy for £20: http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/stocklist.htm
Nick

Oh yes - I get it now.

I don't think the Campyodly route makes much sense because £20 would get another pair of Superbe calipers if I don't mind waiting! I suspect that might be the most sensible option. It's not as though I'll be riding the bike that soon and the brake that will fit is the rear which is the one that is least effective (the front does centre well - the rear gets pushed by the cable itself).

Back