how to justify a big purchase?!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so, have been to the Bespoked Bristol show,

i am leaning towards Royce hubs, i want to build my Demon with different parts than i usually would use so i have some choices:-

chris king hubs £570 rrp
royce hubs standard £450 rrp
royce hubs, racing gold £1150 :shock: :shock:

hope seem cheap by comparison!!

i'll give you 3 guesses which ones i want! :p

i would prefer to use british parts if possible and being honest i hate the noise king hubs make but i can't deny that visually they look great.

i am not overly keen on Gold as a colour but the finish on Cliffs hubs (thanks to all the polishing by his employee Robin) is awesome. also part of the reason they are so expensive is that the entire hub shell is made from one block of titanium, then they are titanium nitrided.

so, how can i possibly justify £1150 for a set of hubs??!! come on convince me!

here's some pics!
:D

Attachments

• chriss king hubs.jpg
    chriss king hubs.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 852
  • royce 'standard'.jpg
    royce 'standard'.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 852
  • royce racing gold.jpg
    royce racing gold.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 852
You can't have the gold hubs you aren't a chav, live in Essex, Have gold teeth, wear jeans round your knee caps, have a gold chain.....

Gold is naff. What was Royce thinking :roll:

suburbanreuben":ri0w8bx2 said:
And the advantages over the standard hubs are?
Lighter?
Better bearings?
Better freehub?

just checked the website, it doesn't say what advantages there are except something about the braking forces.

my guess would be similar weight, but it's the hardness of the Ti nitriding should make them literally last forever, but the shell and freehub is titanium where as the titanium on the standard hub is only the freehub body.

my thoughts are that i am building this bike to be the best it can be, so these hubs are the best, and i intend this bike to be my main bike for atleast 5 years if not longer so assuming they last well and no reason to think they wouldn't they become good value through longevity . . . or am i really stretching that argument?!! :LOL:

and tintin, i know what you mean about gold but ti-nitriding is gold only as far as i know, and i bet Cliff didn't choose to do it because of it being gold, that would have been a secondary concern by a mile, Cliff is an obsessive engineer.

:D

Back