rBoTM March 2012 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spokesmann":3jdxnysn said:
nammonk":3jdxnysn said:
Citoyen du monde":3jdxnysn said:
The caps are supposed to be under the tape, not on top.
Indeed, but hey.

Great looking machine. Id ignore the nit-picking bore.

If you had ever raced or worked as a commissaire, you would understand that this is not a nit-pick but a safety concern. These caps will pop off at the slightest provocation when fitted on the outside, leaving the bar ends exposed at just the right height to destroy a knee. I have seen racers be told to re-wrap their bars or be excluded from a race for this. If all you aim to do is get a shiny plaything and don't worry about riding or your own safety and that of those around you, there is nothing stopping you from leaving the plugs as is. In this case, it is however such a simple thing to correct. The absolute top notch build of the rest of the Swinnerton deserves this last touch.

Re: this m

slotcar55":2im16n3o said:
This month I would like to present PICCHIO SPECIAL all DURACE AX
Note the custom shaped tubes by Angelo Picchio
https://picasaweb.google.com/1056342234 ... LDURAACEAX

I must admit to having been rather superficial in my initial viewing of the Picchio. I have only now understood the lengths that Picchio went to with this frame, and I am really impressed. I'm not sure if all the forming of the tubes is necessarily what I would want on my own bike but it is certainly a tour de force.

The seatstays have been "folded" inwards below the brake bridge, I take to stiffen up the tube and perhaps even to improve aerodynamics.
IMG_0449.JPG

The seat tube has been shaped to allow the rear wheel to get closer and to perhaps create a bit of a cowling around the rear wheel. I remember how everything was trying to do this back in the aero-craze days of thirty years ago.
IMG_0450.jpg

The down tube is likewise "folded" to add what was thought back in the day to add rigidity, however I don't believe this to be a case where a semi-production frame-builder like Colnago has had a tubing supplier do teh work for him. This looks more home-grown, making it all the more impressive. Given the frame, the Dura-ace AX group makes perfect sense.

Kevinwulf":1gzn4w6s said:
G'day folks! New guy here (I can't even vote yet). Might as well throw my hat in the ring. Here's my 1948 Galletti. For a couple more pics, visit the thread HERE

Cheers!

The Galletti deserves a second and third look too. Finding a frame this old with original finish is not an easy task. Kevin deserves great respect for not only getting the bike back together but also riding it on a regular basis. Whereas Kevin did include a link in his first post, it can be lost to those not paying too much attention. Go and check it out here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back