How rare are Mavic 531 hubs?

st

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Planning my first retro build for a while and want to put some decent early 90s wheels together. Am I going to struggle to get a pair or 531 hubs? Shall I just go for the first set of nice Shimano hubs I find?

I ran a Mavic 531 front hub when I initially built up my 'Prestige' (see pic below) but swapped to a smoother running Deore DX after a short while as the Mavic was on it's last legs...

They're fairly rare I suppose, don't see too many around, but given the choice I'd say DX or XT would be a better bet for availability as much as anything else. But if the budget allows, then look at Hope hubs.

P1050472.jpg

Freehub mechanism on this type Mavic hub is maybe not the best for offroad use. I blew one up on my Cosmic rear wheel just doing intervals on a smooth but wet woodland fire road BITD. So if it's going to be a rider and you want Mavic - then the Gao Dakar freewheel hub might be a better option. That's what I'm putting on the Look MI-80 at any rate....

I also have a ti-coloured spare one (130mm axle though), with a silver 501 front if interested.

I've decided to take the easy option, after finding an XT front hub in my Dad's shed I have a rear DX on the way to build up into a pair of unused Sun CR17s.

Not my dream wheels from back in the day but should be tidy enough.

I've got a set and must say they're lovely smooth. Have had an issue with the freehub block, it's an old sachs which i can't find a chain that doesn't skip on, so I've had to revert to a modern heavy basic shimano one.

gmac123":3kvl8w43 said:
I've got a set and must say they're lovely smooth. Have had an issue with the freehub block, it's an old sachs which i can't find a chain that doesn't skip on, so I've had to revert to a modern heavy basic shimano one.

I too have some of these on my fat and they're beautiful things although the bearings on mine need a replacement soonish :(

I too had the same chain problem with a Sachs Aris freewheel (I guess the teeth profile needs a specific chain?) - If you want to ditch the shimano one try a Sunrace version - don't be put off by the brand (it's in fact a division of Sturmey Archer) they're good value, well finished and readily available ;)

Attachments

• sunrace-index-7-speed-freewheel-13-28t.jpg
    sunrace-index-7-speed-freewheel-13-28t.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,358
Back