Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

Roadies

I agree with Highlands Flyer above, well put.
I myself ride both but my history and passion lies more on the road, and I see the same attitude in some MTB's as well as roadies, quite often its a real snobby attitude that you arn't riding the latest carbon bling etc, but this attitude is prevalent throughout all facets of life.
I must admit I tend to find it in equal parts between both disciplines but still the minority. I know someone near to me who barely acknowledged my prescence when I passed him a couple of weeks ago on a training ride, he probably thought he couldnt be seen acknowledging someone on a steel bike, whilst on his carbon, lightweight TT bike. He wouldnt know who Merckx was let alone he made bikes. To him its all about image and being seen, but these guys are a minority and this one in particular his bike is really just a peice of arse jewellery.
It depends on what you percieve as important to yourself. My attitude whether on motorbike, mtb or old or modern roadbike, my tourer or even my VW van is to wave, if they dont wave back, dont even think about,. I dont care what they are riding etc, if someone takes the time to wave and be freindly to me, then I will always wave back, say hello or give a nod.
Jamie

Problem

And I do think the title of this thread should really be:
'Roadies, what actually IS my problem'

Jamie

And, last night's ride along my loop was the exact opposite of Wednesday's. Bunch of hardies dressed up like toothpaste tubes on their carbon fiber wunderbikes glancing over and turning up their noses. Prolly haven't got a clue who Jesper Skibby is.

totti":3f6l8277 said:
Whenever I'm out on the bike on the road, I acknowledge other cyclists with a nod of the head / hand raise / or an "alright" shout.
I like to think most retro bikers would do the same. Anyway, most keen mtb'ers respond but the lycra'd up roadies rarely even pass a glance...
Annoying...
Why is this?

In fact, I was out on my road bike this morning, all lycra'd up, getting in an early 45mile training run for a sportive I've entered - numerous roadies passed in the opposite direction but only 2 even acknowledged me. Seriously...

Did a mountain bike and a road bike have a fairly messy divorce in the past or what??

"Roadies, what actually IS their problem?" I don't know - could it be that MTB riders have such huge chips on their shoulders that non-MTB riders just can't be arsed acknowledging their existence? Maybe, as shy sensitive types most of us are probably just scared of being laughed at for wearing Lycra by big tough gnarly guys on big tough gnarly bikes as they bounce along the tarmac.

Perhaps your local road bike riders have given up being friendly to all and sundry because no one ever waved back. Also, bear in mind that the signals can be pretty subtle if you're barrelling along the cratered roads of the UK on a pair of 23mm tyres. Sometimes it's as much as I can manage to uncurl the fingers on one hand in a cursory gesture let alone a full on wave for fear of veering into the next wheel wrecking hole.

Who knows and really, who cares? FWIW (which is next to nothing) I ride a "road bike" for commuting (and weekend rides actually) and I habitually wave to everybody on a bike - even people on BSOs who are always somewhat surprised to be acknowledged as a fellow cyclist. I find the vast majority of people respond but of those that don't most are riding MTBs. It's not an issue as far as I'm concerned and it hasn't made me think all MTB riders are ars*s or ask on forums "what their problem is".

To be balanced on this issue I have to admit that on weekend club runs I've noticed that my club mates tend to wave to riders from other clubs (unless it's the local rivals in which case its a shake of the fist!) but not so much to other cyclists. I carry on as normal and wave to everyone.

If it bothers you that much just stop waving/nodding to people on road bikes. Friendly types will wave to you anyway and you can respond if they do.

Mark.

Passed 2 roadies on my ride into work this afternoon, I acknowledged them both and they reciprocated!The vast majority of other people out on bikes you pass or see in my local area always seem very polite. :D

I pass many, many people every day whilst out in my car, unless I see someone I actually know, I don't acknowledge anyone, and vice versa.

Is there a 'problem' with car drivers ?

I know the issue.
When i was a lad everyone doffed thier cap.

Joking aside problem is the 3K£ bike lot tend to be over 40 and have never cycled and so dont know the etiquette. Off they go on their "SL" BMC or Ribble.

Like the harley riders who have a comparator of a kitchen for the GLW or a Harley

daccordimark":15qf8e3x said:
I ride a "road bike" for commuting (and weekend rides actually) and I habitually wave to everybody on a bike - even people on BSOs who are always somewhat surprised to be acknowledged as a fellow cyclist.

Mark.

Good point. I had this thread in mind when I went to get the shopping on my mountain bike.

It's a mile of c road followed by a couple of miles on rural B-road before I meander through a provincial town and achieve the Xanadu that is Aldi. I passed a couple of single roadies on the way in - one Mamil and a codger older than me, and we all acknowledged each other. I then saluted a chap on a BSO as I entered the town and he looked at me like I was chating him up. Then I waved at an old girl pushing what must have been a 54-12 gear at 3 mph on her flat-tyred Emelle -- she couldn't care less.

I packed up my shopping parked not more than 30 inches from a 16 stone man who was doing the same on a hi-ten mixte; we studiously ignored each other.

By my experience, it seems that the rule of wave applies more consistently to fast riders passing each other on open roads. Commuters and folk on bike transport don't really give a hoot, and why would they? As others have noted, car drivers rarely acknowledge each other: familiarity breeds contempt.

Latest posts

Back