1950s style Seat Collar, 26.8mm, for Claud Butler

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Looking for a traditional seat collar for an early 1950s Fillet Brazed Frame. 26.8mm. Something like this one on Classic Lightweights...

cb-bilams-vincent-builders17.jpg

Also looking for a single Bottom Bracket Shell Grease Nipple. The frame has the hole, but not the nipple! Looks like it is threaded but hard to tell. And not sure how to tell what size the size of the hole is precisely as it's pretty wee. Hopefully they are fairly standard.

Lastly, a Bayliss Wiley Bottom Bracket Lockring. Not sure of model. Hexagonal Adjustable cup, hollow axle. Featherweight? But fixed cup is ordinary with two flats rather than octagonal. So either a miss match or or not a Featherweight set... Anyway, I digress! A lockring something like the one in this persons photo would be ideal... http://www.flickr.com/photos/59239888@N06/5424706400/ ...but other BW types okay too.

Thanks for any help, will get me started on some of the smaller trickier bits for another project.

Daniel

1950s Seat Collar, 26.8mm, for Claud Butler

Got the lockring and grease nipples. Still looking for a seat collar if anyone can help. Much appreciated.

Re: 1950s Seat Collar, 26.8mm, for Claud Butler

Cheesedisease":3duv1c72 said:
Got the lockring and grease nipples. Still looking for a seat collar if anyone can help. Much appreciated.

Easily get a seat collar made.

I had one made to pattern.

Roadking.

Was that an expensive thing to get made? I have exactly the type I need on another bike so have the piece that needs copied, guess that would make it even easier. Did you just use a friendly local metalworker?!

Cheesedisease":2nw69lmi said:
Was that an expensive thing to get made? I have exactly the type I need on another bike so have the piece that needs copied, guess that would make it even easier. Did you just use a friendly local metalworker?!

I had a couple made - my Dad was in aviation and could make pretty much anything. I've just had an alloy headclip made from a Chater Lea pattern for my Hetchins - superb job (wasn't cheap).

Fortunately here in Lincolnshire also there are many small engineering shops that make stuff for the motorcycle racing fraternity.

Expense is relative, if I need something I get it, you'll have to go and find out for yourself re costs.

Rk.

Still looking...

Although at Roadking's advice I'm planning to visit my friendly, local metalworker when I get some time next week.

Cheesedisease":13vmm6ru said:
Still looking...

Although at Roadking's advice I'm planning to visit my friendly, local metalworker when I get some time next week.

Cheese...

if you get stuck, I'll try and help more - I could talk to my man who made me a seat collar and a headclip.

Rk.

That's very kind. I'll let you know. There's a set of workshops near me where some ceramicists I know work, supposedly some metalworkers they know as well so I'm going to try them.

Cheesedisease":1s5or1q8 said:
That's very kind. I'll let you know. There's a set of workshops near me where some ceramicists I know work, supposedly some metalworkers they know as well so I'm going to try them.

You need someone who can use a lathe and a milling machine - use in the sense has more than a"hobbyists"or craft experience, and given what the collar needs to be made from they'll need an understanding of how metals behave.

My Dad made mine from dural.

Rk.

ci0sh.jpg
Sixty odd years of tarnish aside, this looks like the one in the photo at the top?

PM if you're interested?

Edit: :LOL: Neither of us had a clue what it was worth, an I thought a little more than £15/20. So mutually decided best thing for it was ebay.

Back