Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

We've had a good response on this thread, thanks guys.
It seems I'm not alone.
You make an effort to acknowledge someone else training or enjoying the same sport as you, only to be ignored. Now that is just rude.

I'll still acknowledge other cyclists, whether they acknowledge me back is another matter. I won't lose any sleep over it, I'll just post a faster time than them in the local sportives. ;)

spike3":1txi89uy said:
As a motorbikerider we always nod to each other and most people resiprocate.

When I'm on my motorbike I always nod at other motorbike riders unless they are on a B.M.W or a Harley-Davison, in which case I shake my head, more in sorrow than in anger.

Rich Aitch":ynrmxnkx said:
But much more important why do roadies always measure frames in centimetres not inches?
Because it sounds bigger. S'like the Spinal Tap thing - going to 11, it just is.

Neil":zr58y7i8 said:
Rich Aitch":zr58y7i8 said:
But much more important why do roadies always measure frames in centimetres not inches?
Because it sounds bigger. S'like the Spinal Tap thing - going to 11, it just is.

These days, of course, the number of cassette sprockets on a road bike does actually go up to 11. Coincidence? I think not.

David

Pity the poor easily recognisable LBS owner who fears getting caught up by his customers when he is out for a pootle to clear his head of customer bike-related chit-chat...

If I am on my own, I'm rather a shy introverted cyclist and may raise an eyebrow in greeting - ever considered that might be the issue? The cyclist may just be a plain old shy type?

I almost fall off my bike if someone says hello anyway.

:LOL:

most of the people I wave to look like that too!

I don't think it's one group or the other. I meet a reasonable fair selection on my commute and off-raod rides (roadie, mtb-er, old lady on a shopper, dog walker, etc) and from what i can make out it depends on the individual, rather than the group they belong to.

I have had similar experiences to most people on here. It really is not so much to do with the group when it is mainstream biking.

With motorcycling I do notice some of the foreign groups of tourers are reticent to raise half a hand, but they are all so busy on their intercoms and taking in the sights.

Once you are parked up somewhere, everyone seems to mix well enough.

Back when I was part of the VW scene we always made a point of acknowledging our brethren on the road, but I think society is very different in general and you need to have a pretty well established scene for this to develop.

Bikes are common, and you can't easily ID a particular kind of bike coming along the other side of a busy road unless it is some neon wheeled s.s. or such like. So the only thing you know you have in common is your mode of transport.

Once you are off on a single track half way up a hill, you begin to have more in common, likewise if you are clad in lurid Lycra.

Perhaps the fact that riding a bike is nothing unusual is a sign of something good; that you are not automatically marked out as a fellow eccentric.

Back