show us your elevated c/s bikes

grogee":fwreqssd said:
Can someone remind me what the point of E-stay was? Is it just to stop chain bashing chainstay and/or stop chain suck?

A mate of mine has an E-stay Al-Mega with early Rock Shox... the frame has cracked, just like everyone else's Al-Mega as far as I can tell. Don't rate 'em myself.

Chainsuck would be one of the reasons.
An e-stay also allows you to remove the chain without having to take it apart (very handy if you're considering belt drive).
Also, normal bikes need to have a certain chainstay length (distance between BB and rear axle) because the chainstay tubes need to clear both the tyre and the crankset. An e-stay doesn't have this problem, so you can shorten the chainstay length up to the point where the tyre nearly touches the seat tube. That makes for quicker handling and better climbing capability.

I think the latter point regarding shortened wheelbase was the main reason. Some types such as Alpinestars have the lower portion of the seat tube kinked forward to increase clearance.

benbonty":16g29ydm said:
grogee":16g29ydm said:
Can someone remind me what the point of E-stay was? Is it just to stop chain bashing chainstay and/or stop chain suck?

I believe the main reasons were to eliminate chainsuck and to allow much greater tyre clearance....

Hmm you would think so but in the case of Alpinestar the front mech put paid to any tyre clearance i thought it was to enable the rear wheel to sit closer to the frame to aid hill climbing or was that just a happy coincidence ?? :)

whatever the reason was, to eliminate chainsuck + shorter wheelbase, both is correct, ecs bikes still have the special " look "... :D

We_are_Stevo":18f9i4xi said:
HarryCrumb":18f9i4xi said:
My Cro-Mega LX
P8180015.jpg

...and now it's mine :D

P1040207.jpg

Thought I'd just add my 'Kili Wot' to this thread too; kind of makes up for the mudguards on my cro-mega above...:LOL:

P1160172_edit-1-1.jpg

That does look good with the dry mud. mtb's look better dirty than when clean IMO

tintin40":1jb90c67 said:
That does look good with the dry mud. mtb's look better dirty than when clean IMO

haha, thats right... :)

.....and more pics of ecs bikes please - wonderful thread here... :D

Back