What were your first bikes?

1985 raleigh ozark.reynolds 531. 23in frame!! tho I;d been riding on the mountain for a good few years prior to that :)

my first was an emmelle then on to a raleigh montage then a claud butler spectra 500 lx man did i love that bike

people moan about bike weights now, gees my friend simon had an emmelle & that thing was propper heavy! fully rigid 36lbs with high gearing that didnt change & spongy brakes that dont stop.... ahhhh, them were the days :D :LOL:

living up the valleys of coal mining wales , always remember taking my raleigh chopper , down the path to the local farmers house , not exactly flat either

you know the type two narrow ruts , can you imagine that , 10 or 11 pedalling one of those monsters in that terrain :LOL:

used to go for about 3 miles looping back around on itself

i would love to try it now :shock:

:D First bike.... well that'll be my Raleigh Grifter then! (does that count?)
Then came the classic Raleigh Arena 5speed with Yamaha RD 250 straight bars & nobbly ish tyres. Them early guys in Marin county had nowt on us!!
Then it all went a bit pear shaped with Rock Hoppers, Rocky Mountain, S/works etc :LOL:

Happy days ;)

scant":2umlm6io said:
1985 raleigh ozark.reynolds 531. 23in frame!! tho I;d been riding on the mountain for a good few years prior to that :)

Alas your calendar is broken ! The red and black Ozark was 1987, the red and white one was 1988 and there was a multicoloured fluoro one in the catalogue (but never available in the shops) in 1990.

...Pedantic mode off...

Terry..

Had to be the ORIGINAL Black and white Raleigh Mustang !! Whhooaa I could hardly lift it !!

Soon swapped it for a cherry coloured Falcon (remember them ??) Nice Reynolds 501 frame! I think.. With some nice little light extra's !!

Then a nice halfords Carrera Waikaloa with Suntour X-1!!!!!! But thats not even worth mentioning!!!!!

2nd hand Raleigh Mustang(black and red/purple thing) 1st proper bike was a Trek 830 :)

Early 60s bike shop special [made from second hand bits if lucky got new tyres ] and that leads on to who did make first mountain bike because when we were kids you had one of these put speedway tyres on butterfly or ape bars got rid of the mud guards and went scrambling on the nearest dirt tip :LOL:

sunchaser":d6lulv7a said:
:D First bike.... well that'll be my Raleigh Grifter then! (does that count?)
Then came the classic Raleigh Arena 5speed with Yamaha RD 250 straight bars & nobbly ish tyres. Them early guys in Marin county had nowt on us!!
Then it all went a bit pear shaped with Rock Hoppers, Rocky Mountain, S/works etc :LOL:

Happy days ;)

I thought this was a first mountain bike thread? I was riding motorbikes before mountainbikes were even heard of in the UK :)

Back