What were your first bikes?

thegrisley

Dirt Disciple
I suppose being 31 most of the bikes in my childhood are now retro, fist mountain bike was a Raleigh mustang in purple! second a Shogun trail breaker and third which I can't remember much about was a MBK in bright green yellow and.............Orange I think anyone got any pics?

thegrisley":2cffxoze said:
I suppose being 31 most of the bikes in my childhood are now retro, fist mountain bike was a Raleigh mustang in purple! second a Shogun trail breaker and third which I can't remember much about was a MBK in bright green yellow and.............Orange I think anyone got any pics?

Purple mustang nice. Would like to see some pics of that. Was the 2nd generation iirc after the black and white one.

thegrisley":jtupt23f said:

if i remember correctly

here's a small mustang

mustang.jpg

'86 Peugeot Alpina

Weighed in at just over 100lbs I believe. :LOL: Used to peg it across the South Downs in jeans and a tee shirt with my Brancale lid.. Classic.. It had friction gears but I changed it to a Shimano indexed system.. I think I put Deore [pre II] thumbies on it?

Started with a Raleigh Boxer, then a hand me down Striker and Commando. Next a beautiful Vindec Trekker, 29" tyres, double top tube, riser bars, fork braces the works! Then the classic Raleigh Magnum (mustang+1!), then the real MTB, a Cinelli! 7 fade neon paint job with exage mountain (all 22" frame of it), went through the usual upgrades until full 6 speed xt. Then it all gets messy.......

My first bike was the purple Raleigh mustang, upgraded the rims with MA40 rims, onza porc tyres, neon yellow flexstem and xt beartrap pedals.then moved onto a Caloi with deore xt and topline cranks.

In '89, £299 of 'custom built' Orbit rubbish.
Bought in ignorance, trashed in seconds and swapped for a Kona as soon as the paper round money built up.

Mine was a 1992 Carerra Katalyst. It was far too big for me and weighed a tonne but I loved it's silver to purple fade from front to back, it's elevated chainstay design and biopace chainrings.
I bombed about the Forest of Dean of it for years, mainly in the granny gear (28(!) teeth I think) as the 38 and 48 other chainrings were no good for of road riding. I remember it being the coolest looking bike in the school bike shed and I rode it everywhere on the road at the fastest speed possible.
Then the student loan arrived and I brought my first Kona frame and some mid range bits to build it with. First time I rode the Kona I thought something was wrong with it as it was so easy to ride, so twitchy and so very fast compared to my dull, old Carerra lump! I still have the Carerra and all it's Shimano 100GS/200GS kit but never ride it - it is utter rubbish but it got me started!

first mountain bike was a raleigh magnum in blue with alloy wheels and mudguards as standard :oops:

like this but with mudguards

42_1_b.JPG

Back