1991 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX recently aquired...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

I used to love these bad boys as a lad there was nothing quite like the e-stay design to evoke the "cool" admiring glances! My mate had the cro-mega variety and I loved to ride it...so good on the uphills. So when I saw this one I thought I'd have a punt it was close to me and a good price. The frame hasn't suffered any of the dreaded cracking all its all working as should. Although it needs a bloody good clean! All seems original although the tyres are not.

I knew it would be but its way too small for me at 17.5" So I guess I'll probably break it and keep a few bits for myself. Shame as it looks sweet! I'll be on the lookout for a larger one for sure...

One question for all the experts out there...The front mech? I have not seen a design like it (bandless bolted to the frame). Can this mech fit other frames or was it made specifically for this frame design?

All thoughts comments gratefully received!

Wook

Attachments

• retro alp.jpg
    retro alp.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,342
  • retro alp2.jpg
    retro alp2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,342
I have really grown to like these nowadays...
Can't shed any light on the front mech I'm afraid!

...I particularily like the the fatter oversized alu tubes...I saw one on here that had been resprayed and built up that looked amazing...I think it was a guy called "maverick"...

...nice one thanks for that although I think I'll keep it on the frame as its goind up for sale soon!

Back