New Build - Drop Bar 700c Genesis IO Commuter

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I only have a very short commute when working in the office and to date have done that commute on foot and by bus.

However when a SS 26''project was canned in favour of a geared build I found myself with a spare frame ;)

I had previously trialled 700c tyres in 26'' frames with reasonable success so it seemed a good pairing to try the IO with a spare set of disc ready road wheels.

Most bits for this have either come from the spares box or from STW.

Frame came to be in a well used state but a fresh powder coat in Kawasaki green has made it look brand new :D

Not bothering with decals as I like the look of the build as it it.

Frame is run with a shorter than usual fork (420mm rather than 440mm) with seemingly no ill effect. Photo is taken on a skew so makes it look steeper than it is. TT is horizontal to the ground.

Cable discs (AVID BB5 Road) are interesting :? not sure that they will stay.

Anyhoo pics :

IMGP2563.jpg

IMGP2564.jpg

Needs a new chain as this one is recycled from Mrs LMTTM long neglected bike - hence condition :oops:

Its fairly heavy and wont set the world alight but I like it :cool:

BobCatMax":c3fwdqsb said:
would you care to expand on the "interesting" BB5's?

Even when hydro disc brakes are new and the pads are yet to be bedded in their is a really positive feel to them - certainly has been the case with the ones I own/have owned.

These seem spongy by comparison. TBH I probably need to fettle then a little but first impressions are so so.

Just to be clear these are the road versions of the calipers designed for drop bar levers and canti levers - not a poor pairing of std calipers and drop bar levers.

that is interesting.

My Croix de Fer has BB7's and i was fairly unsure at the performance at first, but they're finally starting to bed in now. I think the back might be a little too good actually, nearly taken the knobbles off already!

This is my first experience with road discs, and a long time since cable discs on my mtb, so i can't really remember what to expect from them

BobCatMax":10a7ju5k said:
that is interesting.

My Croix de Fer has BB7's and i was fairly unsure at the performance at first, but they're finally starting to bed in now. I think the back might be a little too good actually, nearly taken the knobbles off already!

This is my first experience with road discs, and a long time since cable discs on my mtb, so i can't really remember what to expect from them

It seems I have inadvertently build a bike already made by Genesis :oops: not seen a Croix de Fer before!

Will be trying cross tyres on mine soon.

Easily room for 35mm or more where the wheel is :cool:

im a fan of the BB7s, and know they are often rubbish until you get 100-200 mile on them then they are faultless, maybe the BB5s will be similar?

that would make sense salty, I'm probably up around the 300 mark now, and they're starting to feel like they bite nicely, but still have a little bit of modulation if i need it. not much though :LOL:

Back