Concorde- drops and slicks!

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Hiya, Now the Funk is finished its time to start another project. You will have seen this one around before no doubt. Arrived on Thursday and should be straight forward enough.

01conc1.jpg

First impressions are good, its in good nic and pretty light. Build will be a mixture of what I have kicking around, USE post, ControlTech bars, A.TAC stem with a full groupset of nice NOS XT M730.

001234.jpg

I'm struggling to find any info on concordes. Can someone point me in the right direction??

Thats going to be really quite nice; it just screams 'singletrack flyer'. Loving the colour of the forks :cool:

Oh, and if you decide to change the tyres (although they do work very well on the bike :roll: ), give me a shout and I'll take them off you!

They are Dutch. Roadbike frames were mostly -if not always- Italian made. Concorde sponsored the PDM equipe for example.

The Concorde MTBs were later called 'American Eagle'. Bart Brentjens raced for AE and wun, if I recall correctly, the 1994 Worldcup, the 1995 WCS and the Olympic Gold medal in 1996 on an AE.

I do have a catalogue with several Concorde mountainbikes in it. It is another year's catalogue, but the bikes do look alike. Most luxurious MTB in the 1993 line up was the Max MTB. Fillet brazed Columbus Max tubing. Pricetag 2595 guilders. For comparison: a Bonty Race or Zaskar LE was about 1600 guilders. Other models were made of Tange MTB, Tange MTB OS, Tange Infinity, Tange Prestige or Oria aluminium. Forks was most often a Tange Struts or a Rond suspension fork.

I do know that Veltec of Canada, the Canadian distributor of Concorde, was importer of Fat Chance as well. They once decided it would be great to have an 'el cheapo' Fat Chance in the line up. This resulted in a model called the 'Team Chance' and it was very much alike the Concordes. The Team Chance was made in the far east, so probably the Concordes too. Chris (Chance) didn't approve the idea.

VERY NICE..

When this was for sale i was umming and arring about mailing RADJATOE..

My loss, it looks great..Very unusual extended seat tube...Almost Canadian looking in design ;)

Nice one DR S.

If id bought it id have put just a sprinkling of green ANO parts on it ;)

More pics of finished bike ;)

0cc1.jpg

Had its first run out today, just the commute, but good mixture of tarmac, mud, farm track, single track and river crossing. Bloody great it is too! Its my first steel frame since about 89 (apart from Mrs S's Spesh which is too small for me) and i love the ride, very zingy and point and squirty if that makes any sense. It just went where you pointed it, over roots, through the mud, everywhere- must be the long wheelbase- very stable. Stem was too low and gave me neckache after a while and I discovered that Wildgrippers clog pretty easy on Northumbrian mud, but apart from that all was fine and dandy!
More pics to follow ;)

Spec
1990 Concorde frame 17.5"
Fork- Marzochi XC700
Stem- A.TAC, 120mm, 0 rise, Ti bolts
Bar- ControlTech
Headset- Onza
Wheelset- Bontrager 28H radial on DT Swiss hubs
Tyres- Michelin Wildgrippers 1.95
Cranks- NOS Deore XT M-730 with Biopace rings, gold chainring bolts, Green SRP crank bolts
Pedals- Deore XT M730
Mechs- Deore XT M733
Shifters- Deore XT M733
Levers- NOS Suntour XC Pro
Brakes- NOS Deore XT M733 with Koolstop pads, black chill pills
Post- USE Titanium
Saddle- Flite Alpes Titanium
Grips- Yeti lock on

Going to fit it out with a full set of Ti bolts and a Ti BB to try and get the weight down a smidge.

Elev12K, thanks for the info- any chance of a scan on the catalogs you have matey??
S

My old trusty Concorde as new!

Hi,

Very nice job done over here.

This is my old bike. I bought this bike in 1991 nos.
It was equiped with a combo of LX/DX the other things where just nameless. It didn't cost that much do. It was about Fl 1400,00(€ 625,00) if i remember correctly.
A view years later I sold it to radjatoe(member here)
Then it lost it's original color which was a blue/green fade to grey to blue/green again. The decals where in pink. :D

I even have some pictures for you from the original state. I have to scan them. If i've done that i will sent them to you.

Fantastic looking build!

But to my real shame i am eyeing up the n/s wing on that Amazon!
The one on the wifes car is shot. As is most everything else.
The rebuild costs are mind numbing.

Anyway sorry bout that! Ill get me coat :oops:

Cheers,Al :D

Back