The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groundoggy":an9zq2es said:
Part it! So difficult to get full value on a built bike. Haven't seen that rear brake but I'd imagine that might go to $200+. If it goes for less I hope it is to me! The cranks probably $150-200 without the rings. Maybe a tad higher with the chain rings. $100-125 for the XT set broken up. Another $50 for the spare shifters. $40 for the hyperlites. $150 for the wheels. $100 for the front brakes. $100 for the BB. $150-$200 for the frame.

Probably say $1200 for the bike maybe you can get $1400-$1500 parted out. I may be wildly off.

BTW Nice bike! You just run a brake cable along one side of the plastic seat tube thingy or what?

Wow, it would be great to get that for these parts. Thanks for the reply. When I take this apart, I'll let you know.

Yes, the rear brake uses one cable down. The Shimano u-brake used a yoke like a center pull brake so that part (like a cable bridge) wrapped around the seat tube. The McMahon Powerlink is obviously aftermarket. I used to have ScottMatthauser brake pads for it too but I seem to be missing a box of parts like Ringle skewers for the wheels and my dia compe levers. Oh well, this is 21 years later.

I see you're in NoCal. I could have showed the brakes to you. I'm in SF at the moment. I'll post more photos in a few weeks when I get home.

Just when things start going well, something comes along to kick me in the teeth... It looks like I might now have to sell the bike I've just bought, so could people please help me out with a price for the bits below:

- X Lite Titanium Pro Frame, 1997, 17". Very good condition with one small dent at top of downtube caused by the forks. (£450?)
- Trimnell forks. Dual stem, dual crown. Titanium Legs. Excellent condition. (£250?)
- 1st Generation Mavic Crossmax Wheels. Immaculate. (£150?)
- X Lite Titanium Seatpost, 28.6. (£30?)
- NEW Raceface Deus XC Cranks and Team XC Bottom Bracket (£100?)

You can just about see the frame dent in the picture - half way between the 'E' of 'X-Lite' and the headtube.

I hope I can find another way to raise a bit of money without having to sell it, but I thought I'd try to get an idea of prices just in case.

Pic of the bike built up:
113967793.jpg

Time has come to get rid of my old Sunn Urge '99, it's exactly as it is in the pic, all original apart from tyres & bar ends (even have the mini pump for the Obsys forks)

It was used regularly until about 3 years ago and has sat in my workshop since. Great working condition, still solid as the day I bought it. Downsides are missing head tube badge, small bit of lifting / cracking on one side of the top tube bubble sticker, worn Syncros stickers on stem & seatpost and a few other scuffs & scratches from being used.

Also anyone shipped worldwide from the UK and if so, what sort of price is it? Any recommended couriers etc.?

Thanks in advance for any info.

sunn2.jpg

Taking the advise of a person who replied to me

I have gotten a few different price suggestions from people for my Bob Jackson. A few people told me not to take less than 1,800. I thought I'd sell for 1,200 to find a middle ground. I'm not a bike person (other than love to ride) and do not know all the information about the different parts of this bike.

let me know what you think and what other information you need that I can get by looking at the bike.

Thanks, Jen

Ok-now that I figured out the attachment- I did too many and can't get the dupes off.

Attachments

• B Jackson-Med file.jpg
    B Jackson-Med file.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 709
  • B Jackson-Med file.jpg
    B Jackson-Med file.jpg
  • B Jackson-Med file.jpg
    B Jackson-Med file.jpg
any ideas on this? cant remember what i paid (or where it even came from for that matter haha) i am asking 60 posted,frame and shock only.
am i way off?

2yzejnk.jpg

I know it is always hard to value a bike, and is only worth what someone is wiling to pay!
But....
I'm looking for a retro mountain bike for some back to the roots cross country and blasting about on.

Kona Lava Dome
1991, all original parts except from tyres and grips.
Excellent condition and has been professionaly powder coated.

So what is it worth and will it hold its value??
Will it be a fun ride or will I be let down???

I have been riding since I was 12, i'm 25 now, have ridden all sorts of styles, mainly dirt jumping and bmx but fancy having a crack at blasting over the south downs on a retro bike. Think this could be a good starting point. Any opinions welcome.

kona.jpg

Attachments

• kona.jpg
    kona.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 611
Looks like that Lava Dome is worth about £170.00 with free collection in person. :LOL:

That's a solid price. I'd have guessed £200 - maybe more from a shop. Especially with that sweet retrobike.co.uk sticker on the seatstay. Should hold it's value well. Kona is one of the more fondly remembered brands from that era. Might be Mavic 231 rims? Bonus if so.

I'd have a blast on it. I have nothing against stock parts or black beauties but that bike would look really nice with some color on it. The frame is decent enough to add some aftermarket parts if you decide to.

hahaha I see you have seen the add! I wont be back in Worthing to collect it until next weekend but tempted to take a punt on it. Have always liked rigid bikes, is something about it that really catches my eye. Reckon it's a fair asking price then?

Yeah I think that's very fair. A pair of those unbuilt rims in the US goes for £50 + shipping on eBay. The frame is an easy £70. You can't lose on that one even if I am wrong on the rims.

Not trying to say the rims are like uber rare or expensive - but they were solid rims on a lot of bikes back then and people still buy them for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back