Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

azaro":hhi4yhsa said:
I think it's because they don't see us.
They're so embarrassed about how they look in lycra, they have their heads permanently hung in shame!

Maybe they're just really uncomfortable and have to look down all the time to see whether everything is still in its right place ;) But maybe it's best to shelf this topic and just move on...

Actually I don't mind so much the people who don't recognize fellow bikers, but those that get the road rage and demand their "right of way" which they actually don't have everywhere; and cut in front of everybody :roll:
big city fixie bikers :roll:
But, hey, stressing over other individual bikers won't make our own biking a happier experience.

As above, it's the commuters that are the twats in Manchester. Deliberately riding in the middle of the lane to block everyone, going straight through red lights etc.

Did anyone hear about the bus driver that got jailed for deliberately swerving at a cyclist? If you watch the video it's obvious that something has been going on before the start of the video between the cyclist and the bus driver. The cyclist can be seen riding in the middle of the lane to hinder the bus driver overtaking, when the bus does over take, the cyclist speeds up and swerves out into the next lane to try and stop him. The bus driver see's red and swerves at him, knocking him off and putting him in hospital.
The cyclist spent some time in hospital with broken bones and the bus driver got 16(?) months in prison.

Make up your own minds:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3PWJtDJME

Rampage":2wzokeme said:
Did anyone hear about the bus driver that got jailed for deliberately swerving at a cyclist? If you watch the video it's obvious that something has been going on before the start of the video between the cyclist and the bus driver. The cyclist can be seen riding in the middle of the lane to hinder the bus driver overtaking, when the bus does over take, the cyclist swerves out into the next lane to try and stop him. The bus driver see's red and swerves at him, knocking him off and putting him in hospital.
The cyclist spent some time in hospital and the bus driver got 16(?) months in prison.
From what I remember - and this is fuzzy memory, so may be incorrect - there was some previous altercation, where the cyclist had been cut up? I think he'd tried stopping the bus, to get details or something?

I don't think it was pure tit-for-tat in terms of the cyclist trying to hinder the bus.

Rampage":2wlsalut said:
As above, it's the commuters that are the twats in Manchester. Deliberately riding in the middle of the lane to block everyone, going straight through red lights etc.

Did anyone hear about the bus driver that got jailed for deliberately swerving at a cyclist? If you watch the video it's obvious that something has been going on before the start of the video between the cyclist and the bus driver. The cyclist can be seen riding in the middle of the lane to hinder the bus driver overtaking, when the bus does over take, the cyclist speeds up and swerves out into the next lane to try and stop him. The bus driver see's red and swerves at him, knocking him off and putting him in hospital.
The cyclist spent some time in hospital with broken bones and the bus driver got 16(?) months in prison.

Make up your own minds:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3PWJtDJME

Not quite sure what the point is.

The bus driver attempted murder.

Even finding your spouse in bed with someone these days does not pass as sufficient provocation to take a life.

As a day to day professional driver, that bus driver was being paid to deal with other road users, reasonable or not.

He was obviously ready to use his vehicle to kill someone.

Could have as easily been a car full of children or nuns that gave him the impetus to kill.

Cyclists have the right to take the lane as mentioned on here previously, especially if they feel unsafe.

kaiser":35r83et2 said:
totti":35r83et2 said:
In fact, I was out on my road bike this morning, all lycra'd up, getting in an early 45mile training run for a sportive I've entered

What were you wearing and riding?

Lycra.
Road bike.
*waves ;)

Obviously, I made a pretty sweeping generalisation about roadies. I appreciate they aren't all like that, most of them down this neck of the woods seem to be though.
I would class myself as a cyclist rather than a roadie or a mountain biker. I raced both at national level in the past, but always found the road scene infinitely more elitist than the mtb scene... but could never put my finger on why that was.

This is a bit of a hiding to nothing really.
You get rude, annoying barstewards in all areas of life - proportionally some of them will ride bikes.

I ride both road and MTB - depending on my needs. I'll wear lycra and baggies depending on my needs.

And sometimes peeps will wave - and sometimes they won't. But I don't really care - I have bigger things to worry about - and that's why I am out on my bike.

Get over it - there's bigger issues :)

Just got in from a road ride. I was on my 86 Bottecchia w. old Peugeot lycra shorts, a KTM t-shirt, AXO Mechanix gloves w. the fingers cut off, new Sidis, M Frames, and a black bandana on my head Pirate/Pantani stylie, so I probably confused the hell out of everyone. All I ran into on either kind of bike waved, nodded, or said hi. Even got a hi from a woman pushing a mixte w. mirrors and bulb horn up one of the hills.

That said, I don't give a flying crap if anyone acknowledges me. I'm out there for myself, not to be seen.

Roadie response

Hello totti
Have you ever thought that maybe its just you ;)

Jamie

Only kidding :roll:
I do understand what you mean but its not a division between roadies and MTB I dont think but more the inaction or actions of individuals from all facets.
I am primarily a roadie but I find it more on the MTB side when out riding retro, but I see it on the road side as well. Quite often its just modern riders on big dollar rigs and they are occasionally snobby with it.
We shouldnt ever let it stop us waving or going up to someone and having a chat at a rest stop as for every snub theres a dozen people who will wave or chat.
Jamie

Let's be clear. Roadies will never nod unless the reciever is deemed of similar ilk or demure. More often than not, the nod is recognition of a similar pudding girth or branded steed to get that group ethos / belonging thing going on.

Now, when your ride with your cacked up 1994 MTB with a dry squeeky drive chain - on the road - in fluo lycra with skid marks from top to toe with equal vigour and speed as a TdF wanna bee it's like a slinky stealth mind *uck cluster bomb.

Would you nod?

On the other hand, if I found a roady doing singletrack mud clogging in the forest on a pair of 18C 700C tyres I would take my hat off and bow down. But that never happens. Ever.

Back