I've joined the Ti crowd.

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I picked up my Raleigh Torus frame from Angry Pirate on Friday (Nice to meet you Martin.) and i'm in love. (With my new Ti girlfriend not Martin.)

I can see this relationship is going to be a long one but I have a nasty feeling that she's high maintenance.

I've splashed out on RC30 forks, X-lite chicken stix and XT737 cantis so far and now she's making grabs at the Hopes, X-lite skewers and Middleburns that currently reside on my Pulse.

She's also started reading the For Sale forum and making offers for M900 kit behind my back.

Attachments

• Torus.jpg
    Torus.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 4,254
I've cleaned off the remains of the Duck tape, started cleaning out the bottom bracket shell and flung the bits i had handy at the frame to make it more bike shaped.

Started with some Conti Twister Pros because I had them, the XT cantis from Brocklanders and the RC30s from Ebay. The seatpost and bars are X-lite OE, the saddle and stem are OE from off the Klein, the grips are some pro-grip that came with a magazine BITD and have lived in the spares box ever since.

The wheels are Bonty Maveric rims on Alivio hubs which I thought would save me buying a wheelset day one.

Attachments

• BB shell half clean.JPG
    BB shell half clean.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 4,226
  • Torus on stand.jpg
    Torus on stand.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4,226
Quality Sir. That's the type of bike that wants to go easy, but from time to time wants to wake up and be thrashed taking on the modern boys to show it's true colours. Joy for life.

The first of the M900 kit turned up today. A very nice condition front dérailleur courtesy of Rampage. Tory or "That bike from Nottingham" as my wife calls her insisted on wearing it straightaway.

I've been persuaded to match this with a rear dérailleur and cassette from GT-Steve.

This only leaves me headset, shifters, chainset and chain to source in the short term.
XT thumbies are a no-brainer as i've bought chicken stix but don't know what to do about headset and crank choice. Do I match the M900 kit or keep with my original intention of making this a Brit build wherever possible?

Thanks, see you Saturday. I've just found some XTR outlets in a bag and XTR grey does go very well with polished ti.

The original plans seem to be being overtaken by a John Major inspired colour scheme.

Not a hope by the weekend. Haven't even sourced the headset or chainset. :LOL:
I'll be on the Klein but I'll take the Gatorskins off.

Back