'89 Muirwoods.....morphing into a Palisades?

Gil-m did mine so he will have them on file, although from this picture my placement of decals looks a :oops: bit off, the decals were perfect however

I would be interested in how you get on with recreating the flouro paint, i had mine powdercoated, and initally it was perfect, but the poweder has crazed and i have surface rust coming through in parts so it needs redoing.

I dont really trust trying to recreate flouro in powder coat now :cry:

Attachments

• my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133.jpg
    my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 2,410
Charlieboy28":n7tqa7h6 said:
Gil-m did mine so he will have them on file, although from this picture my placement of decals looks a :oops: bit off, the decals were perfect however

I would be interested in how you get on with recreating the flouro paint, i had mine powdercoated, and initally it was perfect, but the poweder has crazed and i have surface rust coming through in parts so it needs redoing.

I dont really trust trying to recreate flouro in powder coat now :cry:
Love this....

Shame to hear about the powdercoat - if there's rust coming through that sounds like bad prep surely...? Maybe the cause for the powdercoating crazing too (not that I know anything about powdercoating!)

Any ideas what the paint code is for the colour? I need to find a match and I'm not too sure how to go about it. Presumably you can get paint analysed and matched (there are a couple of good un-faded sections underneath stickers that I can use as a sample)?

After a bit of trawling for a good paint match for the Muirwoods I've come across Lotus Krypton Green........looks close enough I reckon, and I can get a "repair" kit of 400ml Aerosol + clear lacquer which means I can have a crack at painting it myself! Woo........

What do we think - a good enough match?? (I've used charlieboy28's bike as a comparison)

Attachments

• DSC02832.JPG
    DSC02832.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,257
  • my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133_242.jpg
    my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133_242.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 2,257
  • DSC_2577.jpg
    DSC_2577.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,257
Mate i think it'd be more burn your eyes off glow in the dark flouro yellow like the 91 Palisades and 92 Muirwoods? Some times photos don't capture the right shade. When i bought my 91 the photo on ebay made it look custard yellow but when i went to pick it i could see it streets away lol. :LOL:

legrandefromage":3pu9l8r9 said:
For the older ones out there, cannot see this bike without thinking of

11937861_123385283822.jpg

Every time i see this pic i think of Cadbury's Fruit & Nut bars bizarrely...

Taxi :roll:

PopsTrippin":1lker7l6 said:
Mate i think it'd be more burn your eyes off glow in the dark flouro yellow like the 91 Palisades and 92 Muirwoods? Some times photos don't capture the right shade. When i bought my 91 the photo on ebay made it look custard yellow but when i went to pick it i could see it streets away lol. :LOL:

It's def. got a hint of green to it (Marin call it Lime yellow) - I've peeled off a bikeshop sticker from the frame revealing the unfaded paint so I've got a good source to get it matched.

I've taken the stem into a few paint shops to compare against the aerosol fluro yellows that are available and it just doesn't match.....

Spent some of the Easter weekend indulging in a bit of bike resto....got the headset cleaned up and resprayed and prepped, primed and sprayed the forks and stem.

As for colour match - I had a mooch down to Halfords and took a punt on their fluro yellow. The colour on the lid looked similar to the unfaded sections on the frame.

It's a close match....it's less "green" than the original (which sounds strange when talking about yellow paint!) but it's good enough, and cheap enough for this project and it means I can spray it myself.

I was a little nervous about Halfords fluro paint as I've seen it mentioned that it doesn't cover particularly well. This is true - but if you lay down a good coating of matt white primer before the fluoro the results are really good. It dries matt too tho' so a few coats of lacquer are needed to give a nice deep shine.

Been collecting some bits too as they pop up on the forum. It's gonna be a very budget-conscious build this........

Attachments

• DSC_2940.jpg
    DSC_2940.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • DSC_2957.jpg
    DSC_2957.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,113
  • DSC_2954.jpg
    DSC_2954.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,113
Obviously the stem isn't that long.......just isn't inserted into the forks fully.

Attachments

• DSC_2956.jpg
    DSC_2956.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,111
Not sure about the direction of the Muirwoods now.....it may be morphing into a Palisades......after Ant's bare frame came up for sale.

Last year a guy we had in on work experience pointed me in the direction of a Marin Alcatraz - a modern jump bike but painted in the '90's style neon and '90s graphics. I love the way this bike looks so when the Palisades frame came up for sale it seemed to be the perfect frame to go with the neon yellow forks/stem that I had already re-sprayed from the Muirwoods. The blue is a little darker but I think it still "clashes" nicely with the yellow.

If I can get hold of some neon yellow vinyl I'll probably recreated the logos on the bike to match the forks too.....

The frame turned up yesterday so I spent last night throwing it all together using the bits I've collected for the Muirwoods (I'd rather have a bike built up than a load of bits lying around in a box....)

Attachments

• palisades1.jpg
    palisades1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 987
  • palisades2.jpg
    palisades2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 987
  • 11ALC.jpg
    11ALC.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 987
Back