Caustic Soda to melt stuck seatpost: COMPLETED!! (see p.2)

Thanks very much for the video. I've had the soda for several months but still haven't had the courage to use it. This has helped. How did you plug the seat tube? How did you get all the gunk out afterwards?

T..

FluffyChicken":29k4fb0j said:
...samc suddenly realises he left the bottom bracket in ...

Well spotted :LOL: I know but I haven't got a BB tool! I plugged the tube below the ally as best I could, but the bugger was still not watertight - hopefully the BB doesn't use too much Al; it's not exactly the best material for cups or bearings...? I guess I'll find out when I try & ride it!

@russ77 - I tried to plug the tube with some old thin sheet rubber which I rammed down as far/hard as I could, but all it does is slow down the leakage a bit so the liquid has a chance to sit on the Al. I haven't tried cleaning it out yet - reckon I'll do another melting session first... :D

Very intersteing thread :cool:

You havnt mentioned that you have the stuck post out ! I may try this to a kona frame that is in need of the same fix.

Do you have picures of frame without post in ? ? i would be interested to see the aftermath :cool:

Gravy Monster":1ylc1ln4 said:
Very intersteing thread :cool:
You havnt mentioned that you have the stuck post out ! I may try this to a kona frame that is in need of the same fix.

I haven't finished yet.. it's melted quite a bit away but I haven't had a chance to try & get it out - I'll do another Soda session I reckon, and then clean it up and give it a good go.

does ammonia melt it as well then? Or does it do it some other way? Would be interested to know some alternatives if I don't get it all out with the soda.

Back