Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

TBH, I come across bigger a-holes out on the trails, generally riding full on full sussers and generally acting 'gnarly'

Im not even sure if I acknowledge other riders or not when out on my road bike. Im sure sometimes the situation calls for it, other times, whats the point? i'm in the zone and probably not even aware you are there.
Road cycling is a different experience, and requires a different body position if nothing else. When zooming along at 20mph+ on the hoods or drops, 1ft from the kerb and generally trying to avoid pot holes, please forgive roadies who may not have spotted your nod.

Of course, some roadies are plums. But that's the same for every walk of life.

It still amazes me how some people get so offended by “no response”. No response is neutral – it’s neither negative or positive. Maybe the other rider didn’t process your wave as they were thinking of their sick mother in hospital or whether they should buy garden peas or frozen baby peas at the supermarket? Who knows, but to conclude that they singled you out to purposly not wave or respond to simply because they are riding a road bike is going just a little far don't you think?

If the lack of response gets you so worked up and spoils your day so much that you need to rant on the interweb then I think that says more about you than the other person so maybe stop projecting something negative onto the other person and enjoy your ride… :cool:

andrewl":15xtei9m said:
If the lack of response gets you so worked up and spoils your day so much that you need to rant on the interweb then I think that says more about you than the other person so maybe stop projecting something negative onto the other person and enjoy your ride… :cool:

One of the smarter points made in these threads.

I think you will find that as the number of cyclists increases, then "waving at someone because they are on a bike" will gradually become less common.

The Danes never do it - because in many places, nearly everyone you see is on a bike.

Used to fnd something similar to this when I used to race rowing boats (eights, fours, etc). The entire boat club would be standing on the banks hauling stuff in and out of the water or on the water training and racing, all year round regardless of weather, on Sat / Sun mornings and weekday evenings in the summer. And the moment you hit the summer the odd looney who'd borrowed a mate's motor boat would cruise past waving like crazy because we were 'boat' people... normally to impassive stares from the bank. Not because we were being rude, I think, but because it was so normal for us to be there doing that that it didn't feel like we needed to wave at each other everytime someone went past the club house (embrassng in regattas if you crab because you've busy waving at people ;) ).

I do find it a bit annoying if you wave hello at someone and they blank you but you can understand it - cycling is a physical sport and if you're 'in the zone' then you don't always want to wave at people - you know what it's like, the person you're waving at could be two minutes in to a thirty minute morning potter or two hours in to a serious training run. Personally I wave if it seems appropriate and if they don't wave back then great. Gives me something to swear about while I'm climbing my next hill. :)

REKIBorter":38pvf5fi said:
Every time I see a roadie out by himself, on a training ride, obviously hating every moment, but gloating inside that he is a better cyclist than you. What a load of bollox. Get a life and maybe you will get some friends.

Well, I've just spotted a roadie out on a training ride, as Andy Roche has just whipped over the bridge and through the village, and faster than most other traffic too. Just a quick lap of the TT course, no doubt. It wasn't obvious that he was hating every minute but he is, beyond any shadow of a doubt, a better cyclist than me.
I'm pretty sure that he has a life and plenty of friends too..... ;)

Oh, and he did give me a wave.

andrewl":3c4lmhbi said:

Bingo.

Never been on a road bike since I was a kid testing my big brothers old Raleigh!

Lasted an hour or so before I went back to my BMX, swearing never to ride a skinny bike again.

Roadies are in training mode for le tour, so don't expect too much from them when there rolling, same as they don't always understand mtbs, we have to still remember its not just because we enjoy 2 wheels we have to be the same.

It's like when I'm in the gym, I don't tend to sit there and chat for 2hrs, I'm in, workout, then out, nothing but the odd nod or hi, to others.

Oh, I tend to do the same on bike rides too, nod or even chat if I'm stationary, tend to get lots of interest with the bikes I have/had.

I think it's the same in a sports with more than one form.
I'm also an archer and the same thing happens between recurve, compound and bare bow. I won't include long bowers as they're just odd.

I nod or speak to most when out regardless of what they're on.Hourse riders seem to be the friendliest these days and I seem to remember the MBUK letters page full of stories of hatred between the two.

Classic car drivers tend to wave at each other though mini drivers tend only to wave at other minis. I did the london to brighton mini run in a kit car in 2003 and coming the other way were loads of fiat 500's out for a drive. They all beeped and waved and of all the cars I could see I was the only one to wave back :roll:

Some people like people others don't.

totti":9co3pzcn said:
In fact, I was out on my road bike this morning, all lycra'd up, getting in an early 45mile training run for a sportive I've entered

What were you wearing and riding?

Back