1991 Chas Roberts D.O.G.S. B.O.L.X

Now I have the complete serial number I will speak to Brian/Chas again on Tuesday and find out a bit more about the bike. It might throw something interesting up that could change the course of the build, but I doubt it.

Also going to order the stem on Tuesday too :)

JustKev":3emkmemh said:
Personally I prefer the red rear triangle. Still the ONLY bike I regret selling!

Makes me wonder how many were actually made in man size.

I don't regret buying it. It rides very nicely indeed :cool:

Giom6":3pwbyx0l said:
Now I have the complete serial number I will speak to Brian/Chas again on Tuesday and find out a bit more about the bike. It might throw something interesting up that could change the course of the build, but I doubt it.

Don't brace yourself for world changing news. I was told the name of the original buyer and that my frame has an ovalised Columbus tubeset...... that was it. Oh and that the colour scheme was original.

NeilM":1hgxhr4t said:
Giom6":1hgxhr4t said:

Don't brace yourself for world changing news. I was told the name of the original buyer and that my frame has an ovalised Columbus tubeset...... that was it. Oh and that the colour scheme was original.

I'm not don't worry. I just want to find out if its the original colour really. Its more important for me to order the new stem...

How is your build coming along? Have you decided on the colour scheme yet?

I am sticking with my original plan of orange and black, and I'm taking the frame with me to the Bristol show on Saturday so that Chas can have a look at the frame and tell me what the best course of action is.

My inclination at present is to get CR to do all the work and fit me a headset of their recommendation. In the meantime, I'm gathering parts at a snails pace, as dictated by finance and availability.

Still can't get the BB out though, not even with a new tool and a knuckle bar.... guess that'll be another job for CR :oops:

NeilM":338lkh37 said:
I am sticking with my original plan of orange and black, and I'm taking the frame with me to the Bristol show on Saturday so that Chas can have a look at the frame and tell me what the best course of action is.

My inclination at present is to get CR to do all the work and fit me a headset of their recommendation. In the meantime, I'm gathering parts at a snails pace, as dictated by finance and availability.

Still can't get the BB out though, not even with a new tool and a knuckle bar.... guess that'll be another job for CR :oops:

Its going to look very nice in orange and black. Good luck at the show, I wish I lived close enough to pop along as I bet its an awesome show.

Could you let me know what headset they recommend please? Still undecided myself as to what to put on. I might go for a Campagnolo one but they cost a small fortune....

Good luck with the BB, I'm sure CR will be able to get it out – hopefully! :?

Really looking forward to seeing some pic of the bike...

Giom6":qaubxhcd said:

Don't hold your breath, it may take a while.

I thought I snapped up a CK headset from the for sale thread, but someone beat me to it.

I'll let you know what CR say. Sinnerman has posted that they have used Ritchey in the past, and the SE had a Stronglight. I'd go with the Stronglight, but I want to use a threadless set up, so at present I am torn between CK, Cane Creek or Ritchey, as a bike like the DB deserves the best bits.

If only they weren't all so expensive :shock:

NeilM":a2sqb3en said:
Giom6":a2sqb3en said:

Don't hold your breath, it may take a while.

I thought I snapped up a CK headset from the for sale thread, but someone beat me to it.

I'll let you know what CR say. Sinnerman has posted that they have used Ritchey in the past, and the SE had a Stronglight. I'd go with the Stronglight, but I want to use a threadless set up, so at present I am torn between CK, Cane Creek or Ritchey, as a bike like the DB deserves the best bits.

If only they weren't all so expensive :shock:

If you need help with an aheadset, St john street cycles have the Ritchey in stock in black and only £35.00.

I have an Original Roberts with its original component choices and it came with Ritchey (labelled) cranks/brakes and headset, but as i said, they are bespoke builds to the customers requirements., so really the choice is yours. Chris King is by far the best imho :cool:

I was thinking about getting the GripNut CK version for mine, especially if its going to be ridden, I want something that is going to last. The other options are a Campag Record headset but that is silver, I really want a black one, or the Ritchey Logic/Stronglight A9 route but not sure how good they are?

Back