Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

I can recommend the hilarious book, Bike Snob, which says:

"While some Roadies do ride off road, many are put off by the presence of distasteful things like mud, rocks, fun and a spirit of camraderie.

In fact, there's a traditional rivalry between Roadies and Mountain Bikers which leads Mountain Bikers to do extremely irritating things like try to race Roadies when they're simply out for a ride, which, if you're a Roadie, is a bit like being goaded by a Hillbilly when you're browsing at an art gallery."

spike3":1m0ayyjl said:
As a motorbikerider we always nod to each other and most people resiprocate.

Ooooooooooooh! Liar, liar, pants on fire! :LOL:

Letters page in MCN is always, but always, full of indignant correspondence on this same subject...

I think it's because they don't see us.
They're so embarrassed about how they look in lycra, they have their heads permanently hung in shame!

Raging_Bulls":3tjpmu0a said:
What's that saying again? You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd ?

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

One of my faves.

I don't think roadies are ignorant, it's just the riding position that means they look at the ground ftwo inches behind the front wheel instead of where they're going. This explains the whole waving, zebra crossing and red light thing, the riding 4 abreast is just a slowmo re-enactment of the pro's peleton.

The roadies round here seem to be a friendly bunch, most of them acknowledge me with a nod, wave or "allright" regardless whether I am riding mtb or road bike.

We_are_Stevo":13eu293r said:
spike3":13eu293r said:
As a motorbikerider we always nod to each other and most people resiprocate.

Ooooooooooooh! Liar, liar, pants on fire! :LOL:

Letters page in MCN is always, but always, full of indignant correspondence on this same subject...

I used the word most ;) Personally I always nod

Every time I see a roadie out by himself, on a training ride, obviously hating every moment, but gloating inside that he is a better cyclist than you. What a load of bollox. Get a life and maybe you will get some friends.

I always (never) enjoy this thread when it crops up.

Good to see we've even touched on the cycle path vs road debate.

Going to move to off topic. But I won't be waving.

I can't say I notice a difference between bike types when it comes to waving.

On the trails you tend to come face to face with others, having often to make way.

That is more like walking along a mountain path, you have no real option than to tip a nod to others.

I don't ride road much these days but I would be concentrating more on the traffic and road conditions than anything else.

Hope no one is offended if I don't wave back to them.

Back