One for my daughter - a 1994 Kona Hahanna

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Recently bought this little Kona from Colin, a passing member who advertised it in the classifieds. It looked OK and was all there and original, so not much money changed hands and my second retro project got underway.

It was a little grubby, all the bearings needed a good grease and readjust, except the BB, which was totally shot. So I updated a few things to make it a practical bike to use in and around Bristol and on holiday.

So sealed BB fitted, V brakes, inc a Problem Solver (thanks Wold Ranger), alloy handlebars (thanks Ishaw), Shimano V brakes levers and click shifters (from stock) some new grips and some Grey bar ends (also from stock). The saddle was from my LBS and was on my daughters last bike (a Massi) that she did not like.

Wheels needed cleaning and a session with the spoke key and now look like new. The nice new tyres came with the bike.

And that is about it.

BEFORE
DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DURING
DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

AFTER
DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

Ooops, just noticed the front V brake. I'll get that sorted before she picks it up on Tuesday.

She's threatening to join me at the Bristol meet in April 1st, so we could be seeing more of the little Kona in the future.

Well how about that, you fix up a bike and get rewarded with sunshine. Looks great! I have an identical frame for sale on Ebay.ca.

It's a nice little bike, and the mechanic at the LBS, who I visited as I couldn't get the fixed cup of the BB out, said he thought it was pretty light for it's type. I don't know about that, but it's a neat machine.

I forgot to mention the purple (makes me shudder even typing the word) dust caps.

Kate has had these on every bike she has owned since she was ten years old, and they were bought from the LBS, when he was still trading out of a container at a local garden centre.

My word, that was a few years ago!

Back