FluffyChicken":1d7290yx said:
Drainage thing,
P1050454.JPG

thats an action tec dry valve.

scant":239lijyu said:
FluffyChicken":239lijyu said:
Drainage thing,

thats an action tec dry valve.
Thanks scant, I had that pointed out in some other thread and they still make them which I guess you know.

Though do you know if this is the White Industries version of Spesh bottom bracket (that bikepro mentions)?
or does anyone else know and how it's constructed.
Going to have a go at getting it out, preferably not breaking it, a quick twist and it moved but seemed to have some odd resistance, so I didn't try too hard.
This is as far as my research got
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1457353

oh I do like getting odd stuff I know not a lot about.

I'm no expert on those b.brackets, but I believe specialized ti BBs may also have been built by TNT as well as W.I. varied year by year

maybe apply some penetrating oil & go easy with the fixed cup BB tool for removal.

i have a few "odd" race face headsets. what you have looks faintly similar to what i might have. i'll have a look tonight and report back to you.

the spesh bb looks like it has lock rings on them, but strange that the cups don't look like they have any way of removing them after you take of the lock rings.

I did a bit more investigation into the bottom bracket, it is the White Industries one (damn they where expensive) as one thing I had;t searched for but noticed i had the name of the bottom bracket 'White Industries Phantom"
This picks up another page on bikepro and some of things.
There are 2mm allen key in the side small hole in the cup, I need to unscrew these, the axle then moves around and you set your chainline.
I guess once that's un-done it it should be easier to turn.

Might try tonight if I can find my 2mm allen keys

About time I subscribed to this one :)

Looking forward to seeing what colour scheme you decide on.

Yep, looks to be the same. What I have is incomplete. No compression ring for upper race. No lower bearings and crown race.

Attachments

• IMG_2626.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 996
Right I set to work on this after I ordered a bottom bracket fixed bup tool (Tacx for about £8 of CRC and then finding the missing CRC order.... torn up missed delivery not at mother-in-laws :roll: )
Anything else I tried just wouldn't grip and stay there... or it would damage the bottom bracket cups.
It had also been sat in WD40 and propanone over the time since I last posted, Full frame leverage and tool leverage broke the initial 'seal' and job done all fine, threads good. Probably need one bearing and the plastic protection axle cover that was squashed up is now out.
Any rusty/mud goo scrapped out. It had all been prep'ed really well to be honest.
Headset cups popped off and top looks like above (huge cartridge bearing in the top). Bottom is a ball bearing job and I think looks slightly different.

Junior hacksaw the best bet for the eyelets/rack removal ? frames pretty thin all over.

Still no serial number, it may crop up in some odd place with the paint off.
Seems they coated them in the rear triangle colour first (burgandy) all over then must have masked the rear stays off and then done the front triangle.
as far as I know these where powdercoated. the black rattle can can be scrapped away in places after a liberal dose of propanone.

Still no idea what paint job to give it and kit will be what comes along.

4.22lb for the frame at the moment, so drop a few fractions for the mods when they come off and call it 4.20lb ;) Not bad for 19" frame.
Still need a good pic of the AlTiTude sticker though.

Back