Cyclocross

s_zigmond

Senior Retro Guru
Not sure where this should go, so here will do.

What cyclocross bikes \ frames do people use \ recommend? Retro or new!

Cheers

Stephen

I've used a Crosscheck and a Ti Cross on and offroad with just a change of tyres. Absolutely fine for the recreational riding I do but you may want something else if racing.

The Focus bikes on Wiggle look a very good deal.

I've just bought a Lemond Poprad - looks great, no idea what it rides like though :oops:

(ask Wu-Tangled for riding review)

'06 Focus Cross Team(was never available in the UK and is a nicer frame than on the cross expert) which I downgraded from the Record/Neutrons that was on it originally, to Ultegra 9 speed STis and mechs and Fulcrum 5s.... Upgraded fork to Pro Full carbon, saddle to Arione, brakes to Froggleggs, Schwalbe CX Pro tyres, Bar/stem Ritchey Pro...

And an Alan with Mavic kit, but that's really for hanging on the wall.

Believe me, the Focus is a big improvement on the Alan.

In this case, modern wins hands down.

MadCowKev":242xp2yo said:
I've just bought a Lemond Poprad - looks great, no idea what it rides like though :oops:

(ask Wu-Tangled for riding review)

Where have you bought it from? I cant find any dealers who seem to stock it

i've have a FORT cross bike, an older model made from 7005 aluminium, loads of fun to ride and spins along nicely, had a paint job done on it by argos (in my gallery)

also my boss races 2 FORT crossgaurd frames, specced with ritchey bar stem forks and seatpost, the world cup stuff with carbon token cranks and spinergy tillium wheels (cos he's a ponce!) running mostly ultegra gearset in 8speed (clears mud better) it's ti bolted to the max and drilled all over! he does justify it though, he came 1st last year in the wessex vets league and 2nd this year (including 7th overall i think)

so those bikes definately work! :D

jonnyboy666":2y1ew2j5 said:
i've have a FORT cross bike, an older model made from 7005 aluminium, loads of fun to ride and spins along nicely, had a paint job done on it by argos (in my gallery)

also my boss races 2 FORT crossgaurd frames, specced with ritchey bar stem forks and seatpost, the world cup stuff with carbon token cranks and spinergy tillium wheels (cos he's a ponce!) running mostly ultegra gearset in 8speed (clears mud better) it's ti bolted to the max and drilled all over! he does justify it though, he came 1st last year in the wessex vets league and 2nd this year (including 7th overall i think)

so those bikes definately work! :D

Agreed - Forts are good frames; I've got the Foco steel version (no longer made) and it's built into a really good 'cross machine. As for the original poster's question; retro bikes do have the drawback of less mud clearance than modern ones [1], speaking from experience - my old 'cross frame was an Edison Columbus SL from 1986 which tended to easily clog up with dead leaves & stuff during races!! By the way, Jonnyboy - I'm about to move down to Hampshire to start a new job (in Winchester to be exact) in a few weeks. Any recommendations for good off-road training locations in that neck of the woods?

David

[1] Apparently tyres were smaller back then, so clearances could be a tad tighter; 28mm tubs were the norm rather than the 30mm and 32mm clinchers that seem to be common now.

dave b, i'll send you some details in a bit, just catching up on everything after not looking for a couple of days! loads to go through! :D

I like the older style ALAN bikes myself, I had a topcross which I raced for a season and that was lush...always wanted the carbon one though.

Like the look of the Empella bikes too

Mate of mine, Stu Bowers rides a modern Scott cross bike which has done him well...horses for courses eh!

Rich

Latest posts

Back