1997 Specialized Hardrock AX - Mountain Mayhem build!

Forks, landed:

e1d8bf5e.jpg

They look great, really nicely made.

Frame also landed too. Had a quick test at polishing the bare alu and it looks ok, so not sure what to do now?! Paint it or polish it? Might look good polished with black decals.

Small update, I have paint! Going for a dark metallic grey. Think it should look ok with the Black forks and a splattering of Silver parts. Looks like its going to be a nice week ahead weather wise so might get it painted this week.

EarlofBarnet":1uansu7u said:
Small update, I have paint! Going for a dark metallic grey. Think it should look ok with the Black forks and a splattering of Silver parts. Looks like its going to be a nice week ahead weather wise so might get it painted this week.

are you gonna sand it first, or how are you planning your paint-job?

Yup, need to clean and rough up the surface so the primer adheres. Once I've got a good primer layer down I'll flat it off a bit and then add colour. Done a few frames now so shouldn't come out too bad.

Popped the wheels and forks to see rougly what it'll look like. Shouldn't be too bad :)

8bbf47ab.jpg

Rubbed down, cleaned and then primed. Good few layers of primer laid down and then smooth. Then finally got a couple of layers of Graphite metallic put down. It seems to have a touch of Bronze to it, but looks great in the sun. Not quite what I was after, but it looks good enough to stay. Does give me a problem when choosing a decal colour though. Mat Silver? Black? No hurry on the decals yet though, still more colour to put down before colour sanding and laquer. Busy busy!

3856890e.jpg

Thank you :)

It's grey-ing off a bit now as it settled, but will get a final idea once I've lacquered it. Graphite grey with black and silver parts sounds good in theory. We'll see!

Small update. Last few layers of paint applied, so can hopefully start lacquering soon. Also changed oil on forks and given them a clean up. Once paint is finished then headset can be fitted and assembly can start. Looking forward to taking it out :)

Turned out pretty well I think:

ee5fa43b.jpg

52702ee2.jpg

6b0fdd83.jpg

a43fa9fe.jpg

I think the colour looks great when you get a shadow on the welds etc.

Headset to fit this weekend and then can hopefully fit forks etc.

Back