'89 Muirwoods.....morphing into a Palisades?

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
My latest project.....1989 Marin Muirwoods.......courtesy of mr_panda (cheers!) in Neon Lime Yellow (surely limes are green?).

Gonna be a bit of a slow burner this project - It's a low end frame, but I already have the Pine Mountain and Bear Valley from this era so I thought a Muirwoods would slot into the collection nicely.

Plans for this?

Paint - I'm gonna see about getting a paint match and probably spray it myself to keep the costs down. Paint has faded away to white in quite a few places so a respray is the only way forward really - I bought it as a project anyway and I love getting stuck into this type of resto.

Decals - I've had sets made up for my other Marins using artworks that I've created so I'm nearly there already, just need to create the Muirwoods text and get a set lasercut in vinyl, in black.

Components - the intention is to stick to a black theme for cranks/rings/cantis/seatpost to offset against the yellow. Not sure what spec yet - I'd like to keep it period correct(ish) and maybe just go for a mid-range spec (to improve upon what would've been fitted as std - which I think was 200gs?). Frame doesn't really warrant anything higher spec IMO....

And shed full of Mondeos?? I've seen Marins referred to as Mondeos recently in relation to their appeal as a mass-manufactured retro bike......so it looks like I've just bought a base model Mondeo to go with the other Mondeos residing in the shed.... ;)

Attachments

• DSC_2581.jpg
    DSC_2581.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 3,503
  • DSC_2579.jpg
    DSC_2579.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 3,503
  • DSC_2577.jpg
    DSC_2577.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 3,503
PopsTrippin":1ccaiowg said:
Good luck with the resto bud.. Looking forward to seeing it. I reckon early LX would look nice on it.
Cheers dude, quite looking forward to getting stuck into this one.

One thing that seems odd is the frame numbering on these frames.

Mine is M916040591 - in searching on the forum that would suggest a frame made at the Marvel factory? and a date of 1991? Pretty sure it's an '89/'90 frame - based on the colourscheme not appearing in the '91/'92 Marin catalogue scans on here.....can anyone clarify?

sherlylock":33q74rsm said:
One thing that seems odd is the frame numbering on these frames.

Mine is M916040591 - in searching on the forum that would suggest a frame made at the Marvel factory? and a date of 1991? Pretty sure it's an '89/'90 frame - based on the colourscheme not appearing in the '91/'92 Marin catalogue scans on here.....can anyone clarify?

I reckon it's one of them cases where certain countries have different colour schemes mate.

If you look in the pink covered 91' Marin catalogue in the Archive you can see that the Muirwoods had 2 colour options different to the usual Zolatone that we tend to associate with that year...Probably one of those bro?

Glad you like it :cool:

I quite fancied that one but simply have to free up some workspace :roll:

The black components make sense and was what I was intending to do. Good luck.

If you want to ride this beautiful bike after you finished put at least some LX components on and leave that 200GS stuff in the shed.
Here is my example of a Muirwoods with black LX 56* components.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107487
You could ask Charlieboy28 for some pics too. He had the exact same Muirwoods like you. His build thread is still there but the pics are gone:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77001
I will follow your build thread with great interest. :cool:

Nowt wrong with Marin's. My friend beavis has a mint 1991 Pine Mountain and it's one of the finest retro bikes I've seen. Rides very nicely as well :cool:

For the older ones out there, cannot see this bike without thinking of

11937861_123385283822.jpg

kvs766":21wrtm7o said:
hi been looking for muirwoods stickers 4 ages any chance of getting some done for myself ?

Gil_m is your man for decals. I'm only doing my own for this bike as they are mostly one colour only (black) and I've got a friend who can lasercut them for me from self adhesive vinyl.

brocklanders023":21wrtm7o said:
Nowt wrong with Marin's. My friend beavis has a mint 1991 Pine Mountain and it's one of the finest retro bikes I've seen. Rides very nicely as well :cool:
Yep - got a '90 Pine Mountain as my daily rider .......love it to bits (and buying the Muirwoods has made me realise what a quality frame it actually is) ;)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173794

legrandefromage":21wrtm7o said:
For the older ones out there, cannot see this bike without thinking of

11937861_123385283822.jpg

I'm not getting it......must be one of the younger ones on here..? Give us a clue.... ;)

Back