1987 Raleigh Framesets Catalogue

Catalogue Raleigh Frame Brochure 1987-part SBDU!

Hi there,

Many thanks for posting these scans - I've had a Raleigh Type 8806 frame for some time and wanted to know more about it because I couldn't find it anywhere in any brochures.

I know it's not listed as a SBDU frame, but perculiarly, it does have the "Go'D" oval decal (in the top left hand corner of the diagram on the last page) which was apparently fitted to Gerald O'Donovan SBDU frames. Maybe this was fitted erroneously some time later on.

The frame is my current daily commuter bike, built up with a mix of modern components and lightweight alloy '80s kit.

It's great to know where it came from and roughly how old it is!!

Cheers!

Here's how it looked the day that I built it - it's quite a lot dirtier now!

IMG_2027sm.jpg

Raleigh.

S1m0nR":1b1nw1og said:
Here's how it looked the day that I built it - it's quite a lot dirtier now!

IMG_2027sm.jpg

Nice looking bike.

My impression is the GOD logo was used fairly late. Difficult to ascertain when it began to appear, I suspect when the SBDU at Ilkeston was closed. My SBDU did not have one - I've had it from new and I'm reluctant to put one on - they're often retro fitted.

My guess is the intention was to use it as a marketing tool across a wide range of frames and giving some kudos to the lesser models Raleigh was producing (as well as the Special Products produced with GOD still at Raleigh at this time.

Your frame does not appear in the SBDU brochure though - your frame is quite late (1987/88?), and I've not seen any other SBDU brochures, apart from mine - anywhere.

Rk.

lovely bike, s1m0nR

I really like that 8801 track 501 frame. The colour is just out of this world :shock:

Re: Raleigh.

My impression is the GOD logo was used fairly late. Difficult to ascertain when it began to appear, I suspect when the SBDU at Ilkeston was closed. My SBDU did not have one - I've had it from new and I'm reluctant to put one on - they're often retro fitted.

My guess is the intention was to use it as a marketing tool across a wide range of frames and giving some kudos to the lesser models Raleigh was producing (as well as the Special Products produced with GOD still at Raleigh at this time.

Your frame does not appear in the SBDU brochure though - your frame is quite late (1987/88?), and I've not seen any other SBDU brochures, apart from mine - anywhere.

Rk.

Not true. use of these decals was strictly controlled.

The GVO'D (GOD) decal was used on frames drawn by Gerald and includes these as he did the drawings for them. It usually went just under the tubing decal on the seat tube. Sometimes it went between the gear lever bosses on the down tube.

The SBDU decal went on frames made by SBDU, including frames made in Nottingham when SBDU was incorporated into the Leightweight department and ONLY used on made-to measure frames. It normally went on the chainstay.

Regards

Attachments

• Gvo'd1.jpg
    Gvo'd1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 9,959
  • sbdu.jpg
    sbdu.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 9,958

...use of these decals was strictly controlled.

The GVO'D (GOD) decal was used on frames drawn by Gerald and includes these as he did the drawings for them. It usually went just under the tubing decal on the seat tube. Sometimes it went between the gear lever bosses on the down tube.

The SBDU decal went on frames made by SBDU, including frames made in Nottingham when SBDU was incorporated into the Leightweight department and ONLY used on made-to measure frames. It normally went on the chainstay.

Regards

Hey there,

Cheers for the reply. You've got me wondering - here's a pic of the back end of my frame - you can see the GoD emblem just below the 531 sticker and also a gold 'Raleigh Lightweight Chainset' oval on the chainstay, too. It's not an SBDU one though.

The other thing that I was wondering about is the significance of the red-on-black emblem which is just below the GoD one? It looks a bit like a 'wool' symbol that you might find on a clothing label.

My frame number is WD700084 which I believe makes it early March 1987, it was certainly made before the brochure above as it has only one bottle cage mounting, on the down-tube.

It's a lovely frame though - I've been doing about 100 miles on it the past two weeks and it's a joy to ride.

GoDBadge.jpg

Cheers for now...

here's mine.

Picked this up on ebay recently, doing a good job of transporting me to work. definately needs some work, has mismatched wheels and bent chainrings. Nice frame though. Rebuilt since first posting, 105 groupo including hubs with mavic open pros and a new saddle and bar tape. Ride has improved and weighs a good bit less too.

Attachments

• IMAG0523.jpg
    IMAG0523.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 8,908
  • PicsArt_1340403673222.jpg
    PicsArt_1340403673222.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 8,805
Help Identify my bike?

Hi I came across this thread when hunting for the 531 racing bike I picked up the other day. They guy who sold it didn't know much more other than its 1987.

I've looked at the frame number underneath it says 'WE760024' i can post more pictures later. It's components appear to be alloy and ridding like a dream it's only downfall is its surface rust on frame. The only olther clues as to what its is, its 531 sticker i've tried dating that as i know they vary and its had the GOVD on it like the previous post.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 8,878

bikemeister2000":1lmm8hgd said:

Rk.

Not true. use of these decals was strictly controlled.

Regards

I believe there's some truth in my comments about the GOD sticker, my SBDU frame never had one, and I've not seen them on original frames built at Ilkeston.
Therefore my conclusion would be that they were used after Ilkeston closed.
The metallic chainstay sticker is featured on my SBDU and is well known on genuine SBDU frames.
Back to the GOD sticker and my original comment; I've seen this sticker on some truly mediocre framesets - meaning framesets in just 531 maintubes, 501 maintubes etc; hence my comment about"marketing".
The comment about"frames drawn"by Gerald does little to change my opinion about"marketing", and the GOD sticker on these"mediocre"framesets diminishes the reputation of the SBDU.

Roadking.

Ive just picked up a white and blue 8806 frame in mint condition id also like to get my hands on that yellow track frame as well i wonder how many takers they had for these light weight frame sets.
the frame number on mine is WD7001710.

Latest posts

Back