1991 GT Zaskar

TT_Zaskar91

Dirt Disciple
Posted pics of the build in the Chat Forum as a noob, but realised since the best place for these types of posts is in here. So below are some beofre during and after photos of my bike which had sat it storage upstairs at work for 18 years, pretty much unused throughout this period (thrashed to an inch of it's life prior....)

Before :

2012-03-02083510-Copy.jpg

2012-03-02083533.jpg

During :

2012-03-12162843.jpg

2012-03-15110636.jpg

After :

2012-03-16125608.jpg

2012-03-16125713.jpg

2012-03-16125835.jpg

2012-03-16125635.jpg

2012-03-16125700.jpg

I'm no expert builder or restorter but I'm happy enough with the way things turned out. Just nice to have my bike back working again after all these years, and love the way the ally polishes up. Don't make 'em like this any more :D

cheers,

it's the original Flip Flop stem. I just wire brushed it back to bare metal and laquered it. Looks like new again ! Basically stripped any paint I could from the bike to make it as silver as possible :cool:

it's the original Flip Flop stem.

**idiot question alert** - looks like a negative rise, can I assume it flips over to give a positive rise (hence the name)? :D It's a little before my time (I'd have been 11 in 1991).

I like the fact that it's not "perfect" (please don't take this as a criticism, it isn't intended to) as you won't be scared to ride the thing!

Joe

it's far from perfect !!

I dropped it, got thrown from it, and generally abused it for 3 or 4 years in my late teens, before packing it away and going to the pub :D

Now I'm in the initial stages of what will no doubt develop into a full blown MLC so getting back on a bike seems like the logical thing to do.....

Very clean and sleek look to it. Think bigger frames help achieve that look. Good work now put some proper tyres on it and get it all dirty again :D

yeah I hate those slick tyres. Bought on impulse of the bay, and whilst they probably go like stink on the road, they still look like inner tubes on rims.

Missing the Conti Bajas I used to buy. Amber walled beauties IMO. Can't find anything that even resembles them during my searching, and I'm loathe to post "what tyres are best blah blah etc ?" in any forum as that's as pointless as asking which shirt is everyones favourite !

Quite like the mad phat tyres that are around these days, but doubt I'd squeeze them onto my Specialized X23 rims....

Still can't ride the damn thing as waiting for elastomers from US, which are on their way apparently.

great to see some period forks on there! hope you kept the ridgids though.
ditched the flite??? really......... :cry:
looks great. got history too, nice!

Yeah, ditched the Flite... only until I can restore/recover it. It's worn thru in many parts and perished in others, mainly due to me resting it up against brick walls at sixth form I reckon :LOL:

Added a grand total of 52g by buying a Cro-mo (shocker) replica.

Considering I'm 6' 8" and 16st I figured a few grams here and there won't matter too much. Never understood the old obsession with spending £££ to save just a few ounces, which I know will annoy some people. Better to lay off the pies and save money and weight :shock:

Overall the bike weighs in at 26 1/2lbs, which is respectable I think. And it is strong as hell.

Kept the rigids too, but doubt they will ever be put back on again. You have to remember I drooled over and hankered after M1s bitd but could never afford them and as a result HATED the fact I had to ride around on rigid stock forks. Picked these up for £50 last week from a chap who amazingly had two pairs for sale, the others being M2s. He got a grand total of £78.00 for the pair with the M2 selling for £28 today. Madness when you think what they cost new.

Back