retro(ish) Orange 223 DD build

Cheers dude, I assume you mean the orange? (rather than the trail) Yeah seems pretty well, only thing that was bugging me was the gears, they really need indexing properly as they kept jumping a lot, so I need to work on that before BUCS next week...

So some updates coming soon. I'm going to Morzine for a couple of weeks at the end of June, and while the bike has held together for local stuff and the student champs (loving how it rides by the way), it's going to need a total overhaul before I take it to the alps.

The first important part is the ovalised shock mounts on the swing arm. Does anybody know much about fixing this? I don't have any tools here, so I can't do it myself, but is it just a case of getting them drilled out and an insert fitted? Will any machine shop be able to do this? (Local motorbike shop?) Will I need to send it to orange for a decent job, or will BETD or argos cycles do a good job for less money? Has anybody else had this done? There is also a stripped pinch bolt on one of the dropouts, however that is less pressing. The ovalised shock mounts are the only real issue with the frame itself, so I'm keen to get it sorted. The frame is otherwise pretty sound.

As well as this, the shock, a DHX 3 isn't working properly, there's a big clunk half way through the travel. I've managed to get hold of a Rockshox Vivid off ebay for £110 posted, so that's going to go on, and I'm going to get the DHX serviced on the cheap and have it as a backup. I've narrowed the gear issue down to the cassette and chainring being too worn, as the gears change perfectly, but the cassette and chainring are old, whereas the chain is brand new. I thought they weren't too far past it, but it seems I was wrong. I'm also going to buy and fit new pivot bearings, shock mount bolts, tyres (2x minion DHF 2.5 dual ply maxxpro), cranks (buying some used old style saints from a friend), I'll probably give the pedals and hub bearings an overhaul if i can afford it, possibly a new headset as this one is a bit pitted and rough, it's cheapo FSA looseball job that's been badly maintained. I'll also slap on my formula mega brakes from my other bike just for the alps. I think that's about it. Priceyyy! :(

Oh yeah, and for anyone interested, a couple of go pro vids aboard the 223. The first is from the student champs race at Rheola a couple of weekends back (gnaaaarly long track, could barely get a full run in, as you can tell from the video!). The second is some local trails, though the first part at Ogwen Bank is on my RM Slayer.

Well I've gotten the new shock on there, Vivid R2C, and it feels really nice! Plush as hell. I've only ridden it down a grassy slope so far, but hopefully I'll be taking it to Foel Gasnach on saturday to test it properly. And before you say, yes i know both the bike and my bedroom need a clean!

p4pb7963413.jpg

p4pb7963416.jpg

I also got a little 'creative' with the stickers on the fork lowers... :LOL:

p4pb7963408.jpg

Hi. Nice updates. If your shock mounts on the swingarm are ovalized you may face a bit of a problem. I see two ways to fix it. One would be to weld up the old holes and drill some new. Another could be to have an inset machined and then drill upbthe hole to accept that size inset. But if you do nor have ant friends that can do this machining it will prpperly be more cosy than a simple welding.... I would weld them up. You could also give orange a call. They may be able to help you with a new rear awingarm for a decent cost....

I'm going to give the local motorbike shop a ring about getting inserts machined up and have the bolt holes drilled out like you say, they seem pretty handy, so may be able to do it. Failing that, Orange do repairs etc, or I might try BETD. It shouldn't be too hard a fix, I just don't have the tools to do it myself.

So new (old) saint cranks with slik graphics and some 2009 boxxers in really good nick. Much better!

p4pb8062611.jpg

Thinking of stripping the anodising off the pedals as well.

Back