Wanted - Shimano 600 front chainset and crank

bobit200

Retro Newbie
Looking for a Shimano 600 chainset and crank with a lower chainring of around 32t. I currently have one but the lower ring is 40t. Its a bit to much hard work.

Thanks.

Unless they made a triple (quite sure they didn't) then the lowest ring you're going to get is 38t.

most "compact " chainsets are 34/50 rings , but compacts did not exist in shimano 600 era . If you currently have a double chainset with square taper axle you will have to get a new(external bearing) BB to go with the chainset , A lot of people get rear cogs with huge teeth no to acheive the lower gearing you want.

latman":3rfgmumv said:
most "compact " chainsets are 34/50 rings , but compacts did not exist in shimano 600 era . If you currently have a double chainset with square taper axle you will have to get a new(external bearing) BB to go with the chainset , A lot of people get rear cogs with huge teeth no to acheive the lower gearing you want.
nope, stronglight make square taper compacts

SR did a double Super Custom in 86BCD in the 80s. Otherwise the same design as the 144BCD (odd that they went for the two extremes) --- see http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=163
Not as nice as a 600, I know, but not a bad chainset and maybe the right kind of period for you. I have the 86BCD one with 32 and 47 rings on it (and would be willing to part with it were it not for the fact that my sister is currently using it...)
Nick

A square taper MTB chainset without the third inner granny ring is the same as a compact. Deore, XT etc. would all do the job.

Old Ned":2d0bc4lj said:
A square taper MTB chainset without the third inner granny ring is the same as a compact. Deore, XT etc. would all do the job.

good plan, you could then run something like 34/50

Back