1995 Orange E3 - Post Wheel Gate Update.

Dick Sternum

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi

Well, another new member and another Orange to add to the forum. This has sat in the shed for years but now I've decided I really need to get out on it, so at the weekend I stripped it down for a service and treated it to all new cables, cassette, chain, grips and fork elastomers. Thought I'd take some pics whilst I was at it (you guys like pics right?)

Specs

Frame: Orange E3, from 1995 (bought frame only and built up)

Fork: Pace RC 35 (taken off my Clockwork previous to the E3)

Headset: XT
Stem: Syncros Cattleprod 1"
Handlebar: Renthal / Pace Sub 130
Barends: Control Tech (I think). These are the oldest thing on the bike after the Cateye Mity 2 :)

Brakes: XTR V-brakes M952 (front), M951 (rear)
Brake Cables: Goodridge (new)
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: XTR M950
Front Derailleur: XTR 900
Rear Derailleur: XTR 910
Derailleur Cables: Goodridge (new)
Cassette: XTR M900 11-32T
Chain: SRAM 850 (new)
Cranks: Middleburn RS-1
Chainrings: Pace RC-20 24, 36, 46
Bottom Bracket: Hope Ti
Pedals: XTR M970

Hub Skewers: red Hope QRs (New)
Rims: Mavic 317 (front), 717 (rear)
Hubs: red Hope Fatso & Hope Ti-Glide
Tyres: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Thomson 27.2 x 410

Weight: Dunno, somewhere around 21lb if I remember right

Pics

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

DS :D :D

ace!

these frames can make a super-light build quite easy. enjoy it mate. one day i will find a large 21" or so in a junk shop and i'm gonna do a weight weenie build like never before.

i do have 30lb bikes BTW :eek: but these E3 do it for me :cool:

I have enjoyed it - I've owned it from new and it's been all over the place, including the top of Snowdon. I swear I saw 60mph+ that day!

Need to start enjoying it again.

DS

Super nice.. I do love and E2 and E3.

Your forks are on backwards though!! Seriously, the Pace crown has an angled offset so when it's backwards the forks angle too far back. Legs are ok, crown needs to go round 180 degrees.

Good spot! Just checked and the crown is backwards, so will have been like that for years, as it's been years since I had the forks off the bike :oops: . Looks like a job for tomorrow...

Re: '95 Orange E3

northerndave":3caskfdk said:
Legs are ok, crown needs to go round 180 degrees.
You had me confused for a minute there, but I'm sure you meant the crown has to be turned 180 degrees relative to the legs and the stem!

Dick Sternum":3caskfdk said:
Frame: Orange E3, from 1995 I think (bought frame only and built up)
I think it's a 1996 frame actually - I'm pretty sure 95s had brazed-on seat clamps.

It'll be interesting to hear how much difference you find from correcting the fork rake. You should get a lot less self-centring, so it must have been quite a difficult proposition up to now. No wonder it's been languishing in the shed all this while!

Sorry to hear about your wheels. Just goes to show, nobody's perfect! At least it's not quite as bad as the lady who loaded all her shopping into the car and drove off, leaving her baby crying in the shopping trolley. Oops!

Back