the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

development_cycle":1qwtw00p said:
Wanted to keep the V's I already have really. Wasn't intended to be a dropper so have loads of bits already for a standard mtb set up

10-speed Campag Ergos work 99% perfectly with a Shimano 8-speed MTB cassette; the front Ergo is non-indexed, so works with 3 front rings; add mini V-brakes: Good to go. Better than good, actually, IME.

The shifting is ok...a touch finicky. I probably would have gone with STI if I had it to do over again. I think using a Suntour rear derailleur and cassette would probably help matters. I'm making it sound worse than it is, but I'm used to Campagnolo Ergos. I do like their convenience and positioning. The tektro levers with v-brakes work GREAT!

Ask and ye shall receive...

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Pre-Huffy

IMG_0720.jpg

It rides better than it looks...

I had originally intended it to be a winter specific snow bike that might give me some trail riding fun as well, but it really wowed me as a city bike. It's fast, nimble and TOUGH! It retains some feel and fun while also taking the edge off of the pot holes and road grime. The other thing I started liking about it was I can put it on a school rack without worrying every minute like I do with my other bikes. I'd like to add a rear rack to make carrying books and a lock a bit gentler.

One more upcoming touch - Jen Green, a local artist/jeweler who specializes in bicycle head badges, is making me an Alfred Neuman head badge for it :twisted:

Nice drops! Glad you've begun pealing of them Huffy stickers cuz they do a poor job masking that Lightspeed Obed!
;)

donpedro":2c8cd6w4 said:
Nice drops! Glad you've begun pealing of them Huffy stickers cuz they do a poor job masking that Lightspeed Obed!
;)

I wouldn't swear to it, but I think it's actually a Merlin and the Litespeed stickers are as genuine as the Huffy ones. The serial number places it as a 1995 Merlin...which is consistent with everything I'm seeing.

No Merlin I've ever seen had riveted cable stops, bead blasted finish and Litespeed decals... should know as I got the same frame in '94 and sold it some six years later. ;)

donpedro":1ew5q3ow said:
No Merlin I've ever seen had riveted cable stops, bead blasted finish and Litespeed decals... should know as I got the same frame in '94 and sold it some six years later. ;)

You could be right...maybe they used similar serial numbers and it's a coincidence. The serial number matches up to a 95' Merlin and that seemed pretty telling to me. Whatever it is...it's a LOT of fun and a great townie build. I'm hoping the Alfred E. Neuman head badge is done this week.

'92 Axis Pro

Nice, but why not give Litespeed a call? I've fitted drops to my touring mtb hacks since the mid 90's. Here's my latest parts bin winter commuter. The Nitto Technomic may look out of place but work well. Used a 1 1/8" shim with this 1"/130mm version witch tuned out to be spot on as the bars move backwards the higher they sit. Also used a 46cm Salsa Bell Lap bar, DA SL-7700 9sp shifters, Tektro levers and some '89 Deore II BR-MT62 cantis. With some good 'ol 217 ceramic rims and XTR ceramic pads braking is on par with most mech disc's.

Attachments

• DSC_0036 (2).jpg
    DSC_0036 (2).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,561
  • drops DSC_0041 (2)-s.jpg
    drops DSC_0041 (2)-s.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,562
  • drops DSC_0051 (2)-s.jpg
    drops DSC_0051 (2)-s.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,561
  • DSC_0062 (2)-s.jpg
    DSC_0062 (2)-s.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,561
I LOVE it, especially the straddle yoke! That's a really sweet rig you got yourself there.

I'll give Litespeed a call...can't hurt. It doesn't really matter much to me either way...it sure rides well and does its job! I might change the Command shifters at some point, but they aren't that awful. I'm definitely a bit of a spoiled brat when it comes to shifting.

The v-brake specific Tektro levers are really giving this thing a lot of stopping power with good modulation to boot. That's the part of the build I'm really impressed with.

Back