1993 Answer Manitou System FS

I'm using this thread as inspiration, my 93 has a hooge crack in the headtube so I got some courage up last night, removed the headset and drill stopped the end, now I just need to figure if I'm going to have it welded or simply put a shrink fit collar over it.....

Are you reaming out the weld from the repair? The reamer cutting/pushing heavy in one spot may cause ovalizing problems. Might want to think about having it bored.

FMJ":1twjgof3 said:
Are you reaming out the weld from the repair? The reamer cutting/pushing heavy in one spot may cause ovalizing problems. Might want to think about having it bored.

This part has turned into my first real hurdle; I've contacted 50(or so) shops in search of a 36.9mm reamer with no luck. I realize 1 1/4" is a dead size but, I'm shocked that no one has that reamer. The alternative seems like it's gonna get very expensive.

*On an interesting side note; I've noticed that the head tube is heavily ovalized side to side, both top and bottom. This would indicate that the tube was reamed before it was welded when this frame was manufactured. if that was the norm, then It could explain why almost all of them have cracked head tubes.

I'm not worried about ovalizing as I removed most of the excess material with a burr;
93manitou048.jpg

Today the anodizing was done. I'm pretty happy with the results.

The gentleman holding the frame in the first picture is none other than famous Canadian actor and star of CBC's Murdoch Mysteries- Yannick Bisson. He's about to start filming season 6.
He's a great guy and one hell of a trail shredder on a mountain bike!
Picture two; Decals on and ready for the build to begin. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, Only one more sleep 'til the fun begins!

93manitou.jpg

93manitou006a.jpg

trail_head":5b3c3bg8 said:
beepbeep":5b3c3bg8 said:
BKnucklehead":5b3c3bg8 said:
I've been building and fabricating with Aluminum for a very long time . I recently welded my son's Cannondale frame for the third time. Bottom bracket cracking around front drop tube. after I weld any of the aluminum frame be it motorcycle or bicycle or any other racing parts. I've never had a weld fail or weakening of the original frames integrity.
I preheat my parts to be welded, I find this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

Generally there seems to be a lot of doubts and negativity on the subject.

Cheers :)

It's funny that. I think it's root is in "fear of the unknown."
Welding is not a black art. I've welded everything from bike frames to airplane wings. If the engineers say it's good, it's good.

Thank you God, a voice of reason in a clamour of ...EDIT... ;)

FFS. I was scrolling through the thread, saw the freshly anodized pic, and said to myself, "wait a minute, you're not......?!?!?" LOL. Does Yannick do the Don rides with you guys?

Would have been nicer if the welder had have been able to get farther into the head tube and gotten coverage over the whole crack.

FMJ":2l04ko77 said:
FFS. I was scrolling through the thread, saw the freshly anodized pic, and said to myself, "wait a minute, you're not......?!?!?"

LOL
Hahaha, I thought that might get someone. He lives very close so we ride together whenever our schedules permit. He's done a couple BDDR's, many of my group rides and we do the odd road trip. Fyi he's "Benthanger" on RFG.

FMJ":2l04ko77 said:
Would have been nicer if the welder had have been able to get farther into the head tube and gotten coverage over the whole crack.
Agreed, I called him a "Ham fist"! He said; Blame the machine man!
I'm gonna inspect it for growth periodically, if it grows, I'll find a machine that fits all the way into that tube.

This bike is going to look awesome when its finished. The restoration work is first class.

I bet you can't wait to get it all together? Really looking forward to seeing it finished... :cool:

trail_head":titj8rzl said:
Hahaha, I thought that might get someone. He lives very close so we ride together whenever our schedules permit. He's done a couple BDDR's, many of my group rides and we do the odd road trip. Fyi he's "Benthanger" on RFG.

I trust you told him to steer clear of that Death From Above character on there.

trail_head":titj8rzl said:
Agreed, I called him a "Ham fist"! He said; Blame the machine man!
I'm gonna inspect it for growth periodically, if it grows, I'll find a machine that fits all the way into that tube.

I was thinking find someone with a right angle air drill (looks like a heavy duty dentist drill) and drill a 3/32 hole at the end of the crack. Looks like it hasn't migrated past the weld on the bottom of the top tube, and will go through the head tube and into the inside of the top tube.

Back