British Eagle Randonnee restoration

Blindlemon

Dirt Disciple
British Eagle Randonnee, which I bought new in 1989. Frame stripped and part prepared prior to going for blasting and powder coating.

image0003a.jpg
;
image0002o.jpg

Frame looks similar to the Touristique except it's made with the 531CS tube set (501 forks and stays) and only has one pair of mounting lugs on the rear bracket.

Sticking to the Original Gloss black paintwork. Reynolds decals on the way and picking the frame up from the refinishers on Tuesday.

If anyone has original transfers or even clearer artwork for the "Randonnee" "British Eagle" and "Handcrafted and Designed by...." (was on the rear stays, long since disappeared) then please get in touch.

Regards
Phil

Ultimately I'd love to get it back to original factory spec although it never was in my ownership since I asked for flat bars to be fitted when I bought it. OK stupid decision in hindsight but this was my London commuter bike so flat bars made sense at the time. Also finding out just what was original spec is proving difficult. (The archive at Warwick Uni have a 1990's British Eagle catalogue but this was post the Coventry Eagle buyout)

Original bits left on the bike are freewheel, front and rear derailleur, Weinmann canti brakes, seat post and frame. The chain set could be made servicable again but funds do not allow at the moment. For now I have a Shimano 105 which is not too visually disimilar from the original Sachs Rival

I will post piccies when I get the bike back on the road.

Back on the Road

Apart from a few details that need tidying here's the finished bike. Mudguards going on soon for winter and a Brooks B17 at some point I think.

I was concerened about the Suntour Accushift as I remember it being a right pain but with a new hyper glide chain and NOS Accushift Pro levers it indexes beautifully.

Final chapter

A bit late posting this as I finished work on the bike about a year ago but a pic of the Randonnee as it is now:

Regards
Phil

That's lovely Phil, much better with the drops.

No joy with the decals then? Have you tried Gil_M? He's a member on here and can provide quality stuff.

Really nice

Really Lovely restoration.
I agree that it looks the business with the drops fitted.
Enjoy!
Jamie

Under-rated bikes, British Eagles. Good renovation project there, too, and proof that there's more to off-the-peg touring bikes than all those Dawes Galaxies and Super Galaxies.....

David

Back