Milremo Roscottelli info needed - photos added

aardvarkash10

Devout Dirtbag
I recently bought a very run down roadframed bike here in New Zealand. It is a Milremo and the downtube has the model Roscottelli on it. Its in ratarse condition and is ultimately going to be my summer fixie/ss unless it turns out to be a long-lost classic...

The cranks are Siguno, rear der is a Shimano 600, shifters are Suntour clamp on friction units, rims are Araya 700s, brakes are "Cherry" branded side-pulls... its a bitsa! I suspect the rear derailler is a replacement unit - it looks out of place both in time and in brand.

The frame is nice - lovely lugs and such, but no indication what tubing it has.

Google turns up nothing really useful apart from this site worshipping Andre Bertin.

Any help appreciated!

Are you sure it's 'Milremo'? This was a brand name for in-house products (manufactured by all sorts of well-known component makers) used by Ron Kitching in partnership with Andre Bertin but I've never known a frame specifically branded in this way. However, they did sell transfers with the Milremo name on them so perhaps it is another make with just transfers attached as decoration?

Does anyone know any different?

Any photos of your frame showing the names etc.?

Definitely milremo branded, and in the same logo style that milremo used. It turns out that there was a company here in NZ that traded as Milremo importing and selling bikes, but they went tits-up almost 30 years ago. Hard to know if there was any connection between them and the Andre Bertin bikes.

Photos later today, so hopefully that may help. Cheers

pictures for the experts...

Close inspection of the headtube logo shows the bike was imported and assembled by a company in Hamilton, New Zealand... but the union jack logo implies the frame is from the UK.

Attachments

• 13032012342.jpg
    13032012342.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 747
  • 13032012343.jpg
    13032012343.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 747
  • 13032012346.jpg
    13032012346.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 747
  • 13032012344.jpg
    13032012344.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 747
It does not look Italian, the bottom bracket threads might tell you. If RH thread both sides and 36mm x 24 tpi then surely Italian.

answers are in! Here it is from the guys at Milremo in Hamilton ( the shop has since changed names and stuff a few times and is now part of the Avanti Pro shop chain)

"Wow that’s going back a few years now!

The frame was most likely made by a guy Ross Clarke – hence the name Roscottelli

He would be the only person that would know for sure – I have no contact details for him

Given the era it would most likely be Columbus or Reynolds cro-mo tubing"

So, not a high value classic - its getting the fixie/ss treatment!

Albeit much after the last post I have just come across this string.
I am the Ross Clark who built Roscottelli frames at Milremo Cycles, Hamilton in the early to mid eighties. unfortunately I didn't own the Milremo, roscottelli stickers so after I left, the shop used up their stock of stickers on repaints of all sorts of frames. I actually have repaired several frames which were not "Roscottelli's" but had the stickers on them.
I can't tell if your frame is a "genuine or not" but we did build a lot of cheap Columbus, Tange and ishiwata tubing frames at the start of the triathlon craze.
I hope you have built a cool fixie out of it and its giving you good service!

Ross - thanks so much for the post! Really cool to be able to close the loop so to speak.

The frame became a really fun singlespeed (I'm not hip enough to run fixed...) and its a bike I love. It has that steel "zing" and just enough flex to feel it wind up as you power it. I commute it from Papakura to the airport every now and then (22k each way) and its a real pleasure to ride - it just lopes along. Angles are great too - responsive but not twitchy.

Her she is...

469295_432643156759959_504117376_o.jpg

Back