Cinelli Supercorsa

toby1974

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Hi,

My early 80's Cinelli Supercorsa, just repainted/rebuilt.

The frame has the old style drilled lugs but has the newer 27.2 seatpost and the newer style brake bridge. I was told this was an '83 or '84, and it also has no date stamp on the bottom bracket?.

Campy SR groupset, Campy Cobalto brakes, Wolber Profil 18 rims, Cinelli bars and stem, Cinelli Volare saddle, Campy Chorus seatpost.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 4,804
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 4,804
By the 80's all Cinelli frames should have had a serial number (as instituted by Colombo for all Cinelli bikes/frame). It should start with the first two digits corresponding to the year the frame was built.

Hi,

Yes your absolutely correct it should have serial number (as instituted by Colombo for all Cinelli bikes/frame). The story behind this frame is that three of these frames were found stored away after many years in the Cinelli factory in Milan. Someone I bought the frame from worked in the factory. Apparantly all three frames were not stamped with a serial number?. Enclosed is a pic of the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 4,762
toby1974":21y3q0y3 said:
Hi,

Yes your absolutely correct it should have serial number (as instituted by Colombo for all Cinelli bikes/frame). The story behind this frame is that three of these frames were found stored away after many years in the Cinelli factory in Milan. Someone I bought the frame from worked in the factory. Apparantly all three frames were not stamped with a serial number?. Enclosed is a pic of the bottom bracket.

I've been in the factory a number of times and actually emptied out a good portion of the "vintage" stock that was left there a few years back. Had the frame had a serial number, it would more than likely have been a warranty repair frame that had been returned with the customer getting a new replacement frame. According to what I have been told was Cinelli's old standard procedure, the returned frame was then to be repaired/repainted, after which it was to be placed back in stock. It is therefore more than likely that the frame was pilfered (happens everywhere, just ask a business owner) either in Cinelli or perhaps between a third party framebuilder and Cinelli.

chipper":r398bait said:
Nice to see such a special SC on here , love the colour , must be the last frame with drilled lugs made . You could contact Angelo at http://www.cinellionly.blogspot.com/ I think he has contacts at the factory , and I'm sure he would be interested in your bike .

It is actually Angel without the O at the end. When he lived in Verona, he quickly learned it was easier to give his name as "Angelo senza la O" which is "Angelo without the O".

It is so nice that it absolutely deserves an own thread in Reader's bikes :)

Elev12k":1d5a9kk7 said:
It is so nice that it absolutely deserves an own thread in Reader's bikes :)

x2, looks great. Be interesting to find out why the frame lacks a serial but doubt we'll ever know 100%.

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments, appreciated. I'll do some digging to see whether I can find out more with regards to the history behind the frame.
In the meantime enclosed are some more pics, enjoy...

Toby

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,571
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,571
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 4,571
  • photo4.JPG