Peugeot 653 Athena (restomod - purists step away...)

Afternoon - OP lovely looking bike. I picked up this Athena recently - its in mint condition and as everyone has said the colours are stunning. Mind if I share please?

Apologies for poor quality photos

6830365612_2cf61e318d_z.jpg

6830454276_105ff7721d_z.jpg

6976567097_99b8688385_z.jpg

6976575661_ba6ed98eb2_z.jpg

That's in lovely condition Wriggles. Odd that all of the R653 transfers are missing though. Mine also came with a Turbo saddle but it was black.

Are those the original wheels with 7 speed rear hub ? The rims were for tubs and I swapped mine at purchase for a hand built pair (Mavic rims on Miche QR hubs if I remember rightly), for wire-ons of course.

The wheels shown on mine are late 90s - Mavic CXP14 rims on Campag hubs. They were hand built with stainless steels spokes and have an 8 speed cassette.

Yeah I was surprised that the 653 stickers were missing. I have a scan of the catalogue but cant see where they were positioned originally

Rims have been de stickered as well, but are tubs on athena type hubs so assuming they are the original Mach 2cd

Oh I have just noticed that some frame decals have been removed as well (Peugeot on the chrome chainstay) - I guess someone liked it destickered. I know I have done that on a few bkes. An original P7 and a Lynskey On One Ti29er spring to mind!

wriggles":ii46i8er said:
Yeah I was surprised that the 653 stickers were missing. I have a scan of the catalogue but cant see where they were positioned originally

They should be at the top of each fork blade and between the shifters. On your third photo down I can see the mark where the transfer has been.

You can just about make them out on my photo. I masked them before doing the respray.

I've still got the original purple Look pedals too but I changed to red ones to match the new paint.

What size is your frame ? Mine's 23".

Ah right I see where the stickers went. Thanks. Mines a 21 1/2" ctc or 22" ctt - I think its going to be a bit small for me sadly :(

nice ones on the brown hoods to match 'kerplunk' the blue/brown scheme was a good choice and make it look well retro !
question to some one. what does one do when you set your sights on sti or ergo?where you have a bare d tube.
if you use an old 'band on shifter's and remove the lever's will you still have a square boss or can you buy a proper converter from some where ?

oonaff":33o8a6we said:
nice ones on the brown hoods to match 'kerplunk' the blue/brown scheme was a good choice and make it look well retro !
question to some one. what does one do when you set your sights on sti or ergo?where you have a bare d tube.
if you use an old 'band on shifter's and remove the lever's will you still have a square boss or can you buy a proper converter from some where ?

You can buy barrel adjusters/cable guides that sit on the bosses to route your gear cables through. Looks pretty good.

Or you angle-grind the bosses off, sand them down and putty them up before a respray

Back