2012-03-10 - Gypsy Glen - What Was I Thinking?

gmac123":37op8nz5 said:
well done lads, looks like a mini epic, shame all your efforts never uncovered a natural gem... 10 out 10 for effort :D
I've been thinking about the route since Saturday... However you cut it, it's way too much for a retrobike national, but with some modifications it would make a good summer's day epic... The actual Gypsy Glen part of the ride is rather good, and there is an easier ascent up to Gypsy Glen that we didn't take... Make it more interesting by getting off-piste on the climb up Janet's Brae, we saw at least one trail diving off there. Also avoid the slog up the walkers path out of GT by heading up the red climb past Spooky woods instead and getting to the boundary trail that way, possibly mix in some of the Black route too... Finally, there appears to be a quad track descent off Lee Pen (to the right) that's a lot less steep and rideable.

I may revisit this at some point (in my dreams probably). The biggest barrier is fitness - you need to be able to enjoy the climbs, because they are a slog.

zigzag":2jltsfh9 said:
gmac123":2jltsfh9 said:
well done lads, looks like a mini epic, shame all your efforts never uncovered a natural gem... 10 out 10 for effort :D
I've been thinking about the route since Saturday... However you cut it, it's way too much for a retrobike national, but with some modifications it would make a good summer's day epic...

I do like the idea of summer epic, I've had a desire to try a munro biking sorta adventure, so keep me in mind for any re-run

Back